I feel elated - with last semester's results.

by fulltimestudent 16 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

In my studies, I've settled into a routine of two units per semester, which gives me time to explore interesting side-roads, away from the assigned readings. This semester past, I attempted on study unit at Macquarie U and one at Sydney U.

Macquarie results were released last Friday, and for that study Unit (Rome's Persian Wars) my aggregated mark was 78 and so a Distinction.

And, at Sydney U, released yesterday, my aggregated mark for, Japan in Asia from 1840 to Today, was 90, which meant a High Distinction.

I feel so pleased, not only am I acheiving my goal of understanding the historical processes that have formed modern Asia, but I am mastering the process of critical thinking that is the basis of modern scholarship.

So for Semester 2, I've enrolled in Byzantium at Macquarie, and which will give me a chance to explore the way the Christian church became a theocratic government in the eastern empire's cities.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Full time student congratulations. Arts and History are fun and very interesting. I hope you are able to turn it into a career. Again congratulations!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Good for you -- I'm glad you're pursuing your interests in such depth

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Congratulations and continued academic success!!!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hi FullTime, I am so happy for you! Good job! High five! That's American slang. Umm...What do Aussie's say to convey elated happiness? I don't know...Maybe,

That's great Mate. Let's go get a warm beer and throw some Shrimp on the barbie.

Whatever you say Down-Under, we are ALL very proud of you. and 3 Gold Stars

Just Lois

• cofty
    cofty

Well done FTS!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Hey! so many comments - thank you all so much for your good wishes.

I also hope I can earn some money from it all, Truth seeker. I'd like to teach an Asian history course at community college level. Our government says Australians have to become more knowledgeable about Asia, and I'm perfect for that. (haha) Of course, when my income gets around A$45,000 per year, I'm going to have to start paying back the money the government has invested in my education (grin).

Lois, you may be interested to know that Australia has been culturally colonised by Americanisms, so 'high 5' is clearly understood here.

If you want to do it the Chinese way, you can just say 'Gongxi, Gongxi!!' as in this song - which is really a Chinese New Year song, (and sung by a Malaysian Chinese singer-so its very multicultural), but I'll just appropriate it, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpRaTBj6Q0

An expression appropriate to my post could be, "Zhu ni Qiantu guangming" which translates as: "Wishing you a bright future."

--------------------

I came back to post about my second study unit in Semester 2. Its called, 'Beyond the Geisha-Samurai Binary,' it comes down to being a gender topic, which some of my advisers thought I should do, and this one seemed to be the most appropriate.

The blurb on the web-site describe the unit:

Foreign perceptions of Japan cluster around two stereotypes: feminized images of elegance and submissiveness, epitomized by geisha, and hypermasculine images of violence, exemplified by samurai. A long tradition of gender subversion, cross-dressing, and androgyny in Japanese culture speaks for a more nuanced vision of masculinity and femininity. Throughout the unit, we will examine the formation and subversion of gender roles as they emerge in a variety of classical and contemporary Japanese fiction and nonfiction genres.

So this is going to take me a long, long way from the Bible. It will be an interesting trip. Hope I can make my posts entertaining (smile)

I'm just thinking I've been so lucky to be able to do this!

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

" Zhu ni Qiantu guangming "...... 'Gongxi, Gongxi!!'.....congratulations!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Good for you, always happy to see someone rise above the indoctrination of the Watchtower and get an education. With your history of seeing through the lies and manipulation of the religion plus a good education, there will be no stopping you

• laverite
    laverite

A distinction and a high distinction! Wow!! Congrats. You'll surely be headed for a first class honours degree with these kinds of marks.

Well done, you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit