New JW.org video on "helping" prisoners

by cedars 18 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-VJlSsg3XI

You can't help but feel sympathy for these guys. Some of the things they did will have been horrendous, but they are paying their dues to society through their incarceration.

What they don't deserve is to become mentally imprisoned to a damaging cult.

Cedars

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, easy pickings for religious conversion.

Although for some, a belief system could be a good thing.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

How do prisoners get ties?

• jw07
    jw07

Ties, in a prison? Great way to HANG yourself!

• Mum
    Mum

"Jehovah's witnesses are all about education and improving oneself."

Huh? Something has changed or somebody's lying!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

They are not the first, or the best..

http://www.puritansermons.com/newton/newt_b6.htm

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Yes Mum, my thoughts exactly!!!

Also wondering if any of those prisoners are child molesters...Just wondering.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well there is always hope .When I had my support group Anna Adaman came to it. A Jew.

She was in the concetration camp in Germany for three years until they were rescued.
    It was awful !!!! they beat them, raped them starved them. BUT!!!!! she said the Jehovahs Witnesses
    that were also in bondage. used to give some of their food, & would help them,Would cuddle them
    cry with them & preach to them.... So when she was released she looked up JWS.studied & got
    baptised,.She said the two that studied with her picked her up took her to meetings etc.
    But after she was baptised they didnt bother with her any more ,they said they had to look after
    others that they were studying with. She had to bus it to all the meetings.When she came to our group
    she was very afraid.... but got
    all the love & help she deserved. She passed away but I will never forget dear ANNA
    She was a wonderful soul.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Did anyone notice at 3:27 "Jehovahs witnesses are all about education! MMM this must be new light.

• Laika
    Laika

2:33 - Why is that brother not using an NWT?

It was a moving video and the JW featured in it is likely a very kind man, but the Watchtower Society as an Organisation do not do nearly as much to help Prisoners as several Christian and even secular charities.

In a sermon in Church recently I heard a Vicar tell a story about doing missionary work in Zambia, which involved visiting a horrendously overcrowded prison, he found out whilst he was there that around 100 prisoners were in the Prison for failing to pay a £50 Visa fee. He wrote to some Churches back in England to ask for help, and raised the £5000 he needed to pay those fees and free the Prisoners (which was not conditional on any conversion.) I thought, what would a JW have done in that situation? He couldn't have done anything, if he'd wrote to the Congregation the elders would have to reprimand him, and if he wrote to the Society he'd certainly be rebuffed.

Similarly, most Christian charities that do Prison ministry also have programs to help prisoners find housing/work and generally reintegrate into Society post-prison. A kind JW might take it upon themselves to help one of their prison studies in this way but if he/she hasn't got the means to do so, what will the Society or local congregation do to help? Again, nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit