Life and the Universe Most Astounding Fact

by still thinking 10 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

Astrophysicist Dr Neil Degrasse Tyson was asked by a reader of Time magazine...."What is the most astounding fact you can share with us about the universe"?

This is his answer....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=70fwivCntc4#at=207

Video is 3min 50sec

• James Brown
  • still thinking
    still thinking

Thanks James...I'll watch that later. I'ts a bit too long to watch right now. Maybe tonight.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Thanks James Brown and still thinking, both videos were very informative. Thanks for posting.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

thanks ST. let me go get a cuppa and settle down with some ice

• laverite
    laverite

Thoroughly enjoyed both videos! Thanks for sharing. One of the things I love about JWN is that there are some pretty darn good things shared here that I might not otherwise read or see.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I just finished watching your vid James...thank you.

It does make you wonder how much knowledge has been lost due to the culture of belief doesn't it?

I hope that future generations don't revert back to this...but it is easily done. If we start teaching ID in our schools...we can say goodbye to curiosity and exploration. Because belief already gives an explanation for everything and limits our desire to know more. No futher enquiry required other than to support the belief. Such a shame.

But in the meantime...we have wonderful people like Neil Degrasse Tyson...he is not only smart..but he's such a laugh.

But in the meantime...we are awesome! we are star stuff. Lets celebrate!

• prologos
    prologos

I do not agree that the idea of a design/ purpose to the all will stifle curiosity, research.

The best sience in the past was done by people firmly convinced in a design , designer even, that could be tricked into revealing his* hidden secrets.

much of science is about discovering how things work, wether it was designed or not.

The plus of design is that there is the idea that there is reliability, repeatability, not chaos as the result.

we are like grown children, we dont need our parents now, but where would we be without them?

and they were totally unscilled at their task, even fumbled at birth control. evidently.

so: long live research.

design your lab tests well.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I am guessing you didn't watch the video James Brown posted prologos.

It does stifle curiosity...because it limits it. When you only go so far and believe that some things will always be unknown (god dit it) you are satisfied with your limited knowledge. Or when you believe something is evil. As Neil Degrasse Tyson pointed out in his video. When maths was considered to be a tool of Satan...it was the end of enquiry. And for their culture...it hasn't fully recovered.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Excelent video James Brown Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit