When Is Armageddon? Really?

by Cold Steel 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Yeah, I know that it's been just around the corner for as long as there have been corners, but my question adds just a little different twist, and that twist is: Is there anything (according to the GB) that needs to take place before Armageddon? Or can it happen any moment? And what will be the first signs of Armageddon?

Many Christian religions believe Jesus will return and they look forward to the event. Finally, peace, justice and mercy would reign, and the wicked will be vanquished. But the Society believes Armageddon will come and kill everyone but Jehovah's Witnesses!

They keep talking about it coming shortly, but the GB keeps spending money on new buildings and making temporal plans that seem to belie those expectations. So from those who know the topic, how will JWs know when the big day arrives? Will the skies suddenly turn black and fire start falling from heaven? Will there be a trumpet sounding? And will persecution against the JWs by the nations of the Earth come before it all?

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Who cares?

It was a silly idea 2,000 years ago...

...and it's still a silly idea now.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Mormons do the same. For years we've been scared into buying useless food items ( in my case it was a 200 kg wheat) because (initially) the second coming was just around the corner. The high point of mormonism's growth was the late 70s when the fear of a nuclear war was very deeply embedded and everyone knew that was how it was going to end. With the state of the world it seemed like we lurched from one crisis to another and everyone seemed to be counting down the clock. I can't remember whether it was Nibley or Skousen ( I suspect Skousen) produced an unofficial talk stating that the second coming, using known dates and events mingled with scripture, had to occur in or before 1992 (I think) and we lapped it up. This was the final chapter, the clock was a minute to midnight, we were the special generation that would cause the heavens to hush in awe and admiration. As that fear and expectation has passed the church has slowly downplayed end times thinking ( at a huge cost to its motive power!) and is investing for the long haul.

No one spends 3 billion on a shopping centre if they think the end is tomorrow. Even if the average Mormon doesn't accept it yet the management know there is no Armageddon that they are aware of and have shifted their sales pitch from the imminent second coming to happy families.

Any believing Mormon should only need to worry when SLC starts building bomb shelters.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

GB can do what ever they want with their money.

I think there are going to be a few bowls poured out and a bunch of angels doing there thing. Some might even say woe,woe,woe.

I will probably watch from inside New Jersualem. Going to have my own private window! Happy to shed my physical body. I am so vain! okay from New Jerusalem The heavens might have some fantastic colors like emerald reflecting Gods wrath. The earth might stay dark for about 600 years, slightly short of a thousand years, but who is counting. Lightening might flash and there might be some fire poured out of some bowls. I might hear three woes but again I will probably stop counting. I might see four horses with people and capes. Next thing I know New Jersualem is coming down to a new earth.

• steve2
    steve2

I'm not the best person to ask - really I'm not. I've spent my whole life avoiding Armageddon so I would not be at all surprised if, on the many, many occasions I've miserably failed to keep watch, it happened...and I just failed to notice it. It does look like a bit of a war zone out there this time of year ...

• cofty
    cofty

Qcmbr - 3 billion on a shopping centre!

Makes the WT look like amateurs.

• flipper
    flipper

" When is Armageddon ? " NEVER. REALLY. It's a fantasy made up by religionists to control people and put them in fear

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

How do you know the wicked will be destroyed? Wicked could mean thoughts man made religion and political powers, Satan the ruler he gets locked away for a thousand years yet humans die. Maybe God ls going to heal people on the earth let their minds function with out wickeness.

I really do not think there is going to be actual killing of people but things that have chained mankind. But I could be sufferring from temporary delusion. At least I am not preaching The thousand years is now and the end of the thousand years is near.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Armageddon is a place where "the kings of the earth" are gathered together by demonic inspired utterances which come from Satan, the Wild Beast and the False prophet.

This happens prior to the "War of the great day of God The Almighty".

Asking the question; "When is Armageddon" is very redundant when Armageddon is identified as a place.

The real question that should be asked is; "When is the war of the great day of God The Almighty?

What is really meant by "When is Armageddon" should not be to look for the actual war but, to look for the gathering together!

To know what to look for several questions MUST first be answered as folllows:

1/ Who are "the kings of the earth"?

2/ Who is the Wild Beast?

3/ Who is the False Prophet?

4/ What are the inspired utterances?

abe

• Laika
    Laika

"Yeah, I know that it's been just around the corner for as long as there have been corners" - I like that line. :)

Firstly there has to be a King of the North, then the UN will ban religion and the world leaders will claim this has brought 'peace and security' Of course the JWs will refuse to allow the ban on religion to stop their worship and when the world governments try to do something about this Jehovah will then step in to sort 'em out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit