I need ideas for my hubby

by monis 16 Replies latest jw friends

• monis
    monis

Hello! I have been out of the org for several years. I faded. My husband became inactive but still believes that the jws have the truth. He talks about going back. Last night he got drunk and said he wants to go back. We never have really had a deep conversation about why i left. I have only mentioned the pedophile issue.

well, last night he basically told me that no one is perfect and that the jw's teachings are correct. I said i disagreed. He invited me to share what i meant. I said, "Jesus died on a cross." He asked me what else. I said we could talk about it another time. Because i do not believe in the Bible anymore, i haven't paid attention to the doctrinal errors of the jws.

I believe that the key to my husband's waking up is to tell him where the jws ate wrong in their doctrine. But i need help with that. Ideas?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Avoid telling him anything, he needs to see the need to look into it himself, people do this at different times and for different reasons there is no magic bullet...

If it's the "Truth" then it should stand up to scrutiny, right? "Make sure of all things" etc etc

i.e you are inviting him to do some research into his beliefs...

www.jwfacts.com

Why dont the JWs want their members to research and check out their own religion, oh that's right, because then they would find it's a cult!

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I agree, jwfacts is excellent. If he won't look there himself, review some of the doctrinal stuff to point out to him.

(Hey fellas, look here's another woman who left first!)

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    The leaders claim thier special and will rule over the earth and the use Rev. 5:10 to clarify the point. Read your man this scripture, then get a interleanear book which is the Bible written in Greek the language the new testament was written in and show him the same scripture in the Greek word for word translation. It will say that they are only priests and will reign on the earth not over it. Then back up one verse to 9 and have him read who the people are that verse 10 is describing. Then turn over to chapter 7 and read verse 9 you will see its describing to tee the great crowd and not the 144k. So Rev 5: 9-10 is describing the great crowd on the earth reigning as priests only, not ruling as kings over the earth. This shows the WT twisted scripture to exalt the leadership as kings over everyone else. I know this is a little complicated but if you get the point across it takes away all thier authority and leaves them as just frauds. If he mentions something along the line of Jesus saying to his disciples they would be kings just remember in the gospels he only mentions 12 thrones and in the book of Revelationchapter 20 erthose that would judge all died as martyr, noJW leader was ever killed for standing up for Christ.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The more important issue to me is the claim that they are Jehovah God's only method of communication to mankind in "this time of the end" -- their claim that they are "directed by God's Holy Spirit".

Then please explain why their unusual doctrinal views (given ONLY to them) are constantly wrong. The are making "adjustments", they are changing doctrine completely and often flip flopping back and forth. This clearly does NOT support Holy Spirit at work directing their decisions.

Men who are adulterers or molesters are appointed as Elders or MS. Does the Holy Spirit not know this?

They have repeatedly stated dates or time periods for "the End of this System of Things" but have had to change EVERY SINGLE PREDICTION that they have EVER given on this. Does the Holy Spirit always get things wrong?

Doc

• Floodguy
    Floodguy

Deuteronomy 18:20-22 says it all. No matter how much it's denied, it describes the WTS to a tee.

My roots run deep in there, grandparents, parents, siblings, wife, kids. But when I saw what they actually said, and how none of it happened, that was it for me. My family think I've gone nuts.

• Closer to Fine
    Closer to Fine
    I have tried to discuss a few of the points that DesirousOfChange suggested and it is like talking to a brick wall. The fact that they claim to be the ONLY spokesperson(s) for god - yet as more and more time passes they are proven wrong should be enough to wake him up. I honestly don't know how to get through to him.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Ask him if he can show u the scripture where God will mislead his own people as a make wait until he then decides to tell them the truth. For the JW's have stated a taught wrong things for 140 years
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Ask him questions on topics such as these - get him to think!!

Don't make statements which ridicule his beloved Org!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/289394/active-jehovahs-witnesses

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/239679/new-scrolls-just-old-lies

• nelim
    nelim

Allow me to refer you to Paul Grundy's excellent website, especially his "Helping Someone Leave" article: http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/helping-someone-leave.php

Quote: "Generally, arguing doctrine is not a good tactic, particularly at first. All that happens is that you will end up in a doctrinal tennis match, lobbing different Scriptures at each other."

And: "To get through to a Witness you need to use the Socratic method of asking questions. If you directly attack the organization or its teachings a Jehovah’s Witness will get very defensive."

It is hard, be careful, but it's not impossible. I hope this helps you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit