Stop counting time

by Elsewhere 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Most JWs are guilted/coerced into going into the ministry by the time requirements. I can't help but wonder how much time the average JW would spend in the ministry work if the time requirements were dropped.

I know that the only reason I went into field service was because I didn’t want the elders coming and “counseling” me… that was until I figured out how to use “theocratic warfare” on my time sheet.

Any thoughts on this?

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Amazing
    Amazing

In the July 1943 Watchtower, p.204-206 the Society "quoted" the Lord (Jehovah) saying to them that Publishers must put in 60 hours a month. And concluded by saying that 'these words have the same binding force and effect as when God said to the Logos, "Let us make man in our image." The Society has never repealed these words from the Lord.

By the time I became a JW, you had to put in 10 hours to be counted as a Publisher. Then, as the Society mid-level management stated, they engaged a great act of bravery by removing the 10 hour requirement. (Well, at least one hour a month to be an 'Active' Publisher. Now, it is 15 minutes.

If the Society dropped counting time altogether, their public ministry would suffer if not die. The simple reason is that deep down, JWs are embarassed by their message, and in part many do not believe it, and mostly it does not make them happy.

When people enjoy what they truly believe, they don't time slips ... they are naturally busy at it ... that is what I see at the root of JW time requirements.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

WOW! They are down to 15 minutes???

I bet that most Active Publishers™ in Good Standing™ are only putting in 15 minutes. When I left it was at 10 hours.

I seem to recall the speakers pointing to the growth of the Organization™ and a scripture about things accelerating toward the end. I guess they are rethinking this… things will slow down to the end. (Oops! Did I make a funny?)

I remember my gradual adoption of Theocratic Warfare™… I started out rounding up my time to the nearest half hour, then to the full hour (9:05 rounded up to 10). Then I started rounding up 6 hours to 10, which then led to me just putting 10 hours on my timesheet without ever going out. Not to mention the phantom RVs, books placed, and magazines placed. I avoided phantom studies because that required me to fill out another sheet with the persons name and address – a sure way to get caught.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

Out of the billion or so hours 'put in' by the dub pubs, how many of it is actually spent in their ministry? I bet most pad their figures, at least a little bit.

And to answer the question, if they quit turning in time slips, I wouldn't go out banging on doors. And that's why WTS will always require it, even tho' it isn't Scriptural.

• rekless
    rekless

there was an old cong.overseer told me back in the sixties, Well, if there was a clergy class that just wanted to be paid for going door to door I would be the first to pull out my wallet and pay him.

So if there wasn't demasnds and rules about field service no body would go...

Hell is truth seen too late. H.G.Adams

• happy man
    happy man

I dont no how it is in US, but i have been JW sens 1960, and i have never hird abauot that we must do 10 our, it was a goal, but you was a publisher even if you doing only one our.
    And if we think on this 15 minutes, you are so negative and look at evrything on a negative way, int it good forold peopel who want to put inn a report what they have done, thatr they now can do it, i heard some who are very sadecfied and happy,ofcourse jehova dont need this.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I recall that during the time I was trying to figure out just WHAT I was going to do, there was a talk at our Hall in which the speaker stated quite clearly that the preaching work was a responsibility of the annointed remnant and that the "other sheep" should consider it a priviledge to share that work with "the annointed." Sitting right there, I thought - "if it isn't MY responsibilty, then no one should mind if I take a little "time off."

In so many things the WTS has managed to achieve precisely to opposite result from what they claim to be seeking. By lowering the monthly minimum time goal to 15 minutes, they think that they'll pick up the great crowd of publishers who didn't quite meet the 10 hour minimum, but what will happen is that the many will see it as a sign that the "urgency" is no longer there - an if we're not in the last generation it ISN'T - and the average publisher will slip toward the 15 minute minimum as other, more urgent life concerns take precedence.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The following I learned from some pioneers back in the 60s.
    They would make a back call in town to start their time, then
    drive out into the country (approximately twenty minutes away) and
    begin door to door work. Finishing there they would drive back to town and make a final call
    here to conclude. So driving time was counted as well as going
    from door to door. Anyone else do this?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Padding time was the way to survive and get ahead: When I first started going door-to-door in 1969, our time was not yet accepted, but we were encouraged to turn it in as a way to get us in the habit. I thought that we could only count time at the doors where we actually talked to someone. I felt that 10 hours was a hard goal to meet.

Coaching to be "Balanced": My Book Study Conductor (who later left the religion) told me that we count time starting at the moment we enter the territory until we leave. He said our visible presence was also a "witness" because people could see who we were and respond by not answering their doors, thus making their decision knwon. He said, balance is needed when counting time.

More balance: After my Boook Study Conductor moved, I was appointed a "Servant" (before the Elder arrangement) and had become very active, about 30 or 40 hours a month. How did I do this? Easy. If a co-worker asked me a question about my beliefs, I talked as long as I could ... but, I later made note of the time and "rounded off". On my way home from work, I would make a stop or two at the local laundry mats, leave old issues, and count the time and placements. On Saturday, I rounded up time as well, as noted in above comments ... and others did this too ... I just copied them.

Even more balance: I checked out territory that required long driving time to get there ... at the coast ... and would stop for gas, make a placement of a magazine, and start my time ... drive at or slightly under the speed limit ... and then make 'not-at-home' calls from the feild service records other gave me. I also allowed myslef break time and included this as part of my overall time.

Even more and more balanced: I would arrive at Bible Studies 15 to 20 minutes early, and when done sit around and accept more coffee ... and stretch the time to two or three hours ... all legitimate because we talked a lot about the "TRVTH".

More Balance yet: Then some COs started encouraging taking a break and continuing to count the time ... like we could at work. And I learned the nice little habit of not noting my time until the next day ... this way, my memory was more fuzzy ... so I would feel that the 1.5 hours I put in on Saturday was really 2 hours ... I left the house at 8:45, met at 9:00 and got home about 12:30 ... surely by subtratcing the 30 minutes round trip driving to and from the Kingdom Hall means that I must have put in 3 hours.

Then even MORE balance: Someone, a CO I think, told us that our time should really start when we leave the Hall from our meeting for Service. Why? Because our presense in the territory, as noted above is a 'witness' and the fact that people see us leaving for our field activity really starts that 'witness.' So, this added another 30 minutes to my time.

More rationalized Balance!: Then, I figured that when I drive to the Hall, people get the same "witness" when I pull out of my driveway ... I am carrying my bookbag, in a suit, and they all know who I am ... so, my time shouls start at 8:45 when I leave, and continue until I return home when they see me get out of my car in my driveway ... an empty field service bag.

Then some extra point balance: When giving the Public talk we were told to count an hour because nonbaptized-JWs studies were in the audience ... how novel, and this was extended to the 15 minute Instruction talk too ... not officially, but many Elders did that ... I counted Christmas dinner (we called it a seasonal family get together), and wlks and talks with non-JW family.

That is how it is done: JWs who want to survive and get ahead find all sorts of creative ways to count time ... yes, there is honest effort to talk about the religion, to leave literature ... but the time reporting is eventually measured by the total effort it took to get there from here ... go to pick up Pizza for dinner ... while at the store waiting for the pizza to be cut and boxed, say a few words about living in paradise eating pizza for free ... and va-voom, I have started a discussion about the4 new system ... with humor ... and if there was a slight response, I would milk it to give a little witness ... and then zappo-whappo ... my total pizza trip from driveway to store and back to driveway ... was another 45 minutes ... rounded to an hour he next day when I was fuzzy about time.

Was it dishonest?: It depends ... according to a rationalized mind ... it was perfectly okay. I was being prudent to find ways to minister ... and make sure my time counted and that all the time was counted too ... I felt that most JWs did more than they claimed, and that if they were just a little more observant to their time, they could count more, and feel better ... less guilt.

When I became Congregation Secretary, I shared the secret: I used my own pattern of counting time to encourage Publishers I called by prompting them to see how they got more time than they realized. Typical questions were: "Did you talk to someone at the store or laundromat?" They would finally recall some event where they witnessed to someone ... maybe on the bus ... and I got them to see that though they may not have done all the talking on the bus ... the very fact that they were sitting next to the person who now knows they are a JW, and making effort to talk to them, and then politely listening, is an act of Service ... and soon, the would-be 10 minute Publisher had accumulated 2 hours to report by phone.

using the above method, and Service Meeting parts: Before long many JWs were feeling less guilt ... and we reduced our 'inactive list' from about 20 to 0. We reduced our irregular list from about 35 to 0. the Circuit Overseer was pumping us for how we moved from the armpit of the circuit to the shining stars with triple the number of Reg and Aux pioneers. And no inactive or irregular publishers.

Looking back now, ten years after I left: What a sad joke and silly way to reason and misuse one's time. I felt good at the time thinking I was helping weak JWs into seeing creative ways to count time and end the guilt ... but I was missing what Christianity was all about ... I lost what small amount of Christianity I had as a Catholic when I became a JW ... I had become the product of creative nonsense in a fantasy world of a JW self-delusion.

• Francois
    Francois

Kenneson

Um, well, not exactly. We'd go by a laundromat and slow down to about 80 mph and throw in a bound book. That got our time started. Then we'd drive for an hour over to the next town and go to a Waffle House where we'd stay an hour at least. When we left, someone would leave a WT in the bench. Then we'd drive another hour back home, go by the laundromat, pick up the bound book, exchange a WT for it and go home. EVERYONE counted two magazines, a back call, a bound volume, and I forget what else. It was great.

Francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit