My new Computer

by Yerusalyim 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I've decided to join the modern era and have purchased a HP with a 1.2 GHZ processor. Works a bit faster than the 166 mhz I was using before. I'm a bit disturbed by my own consumerism though.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• waiting
    waiting

consumerism is what keeps the money rolling. thanks for helping. ya gotta look at it in perspective.

check your e-mail & give me a call if you want lunch tomorrow? if not, perhaps another time?

waiting

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Now all you need is a scanner and you'll be a capitalist pig in no time flat!

Expatbrit

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Waiting,

Got the email, gotta wait until the wife comes home to ask if she wants to come along, either that or we could make it a "secret renedevous" WOOOHOOOO!

YERUSALYIM

• rhett
    rhett

I don't look at buying computers as any kind of consumerism. I don't know about everyone out there but I use my system as a tool. If my work can be better because I get a better tool then I don't feel bad at all about buying a new accessory for it. You don't see carpenters complaining about that when they get a new hammer.

• Xander
    Xander

Just FYI, if you built it yourself, it would cost (all prices include shipping):
    $83.00 Athlon 1.33GHz processor
    $60.00 256MB PC2100 RAM (twice as fast as PC-133)
    $73.00 ECS K7VTA3 Motherboard
    $30.00 ATX Case + 300W
    $80.00 Geforce2 Ti (get a 50% cheaper card if you don't do gaming)
    $95.00 Hercules GameTheaterXP (50% cheaper card if not big into multimedia)
    $20.00 v.92 Modem w/onboard DSP
    $70.00 40GB 7200rpm ATA/100 Hard disk
    $50.00 8x4x32 CDRW drive
    $20.00 Floppy drive/keyboard/mouse
    -------
    $581

Oh, and 17" monitor:
    $170 Viewsonic P775 (1600x1200 @ 75Hz)
    -------
    $751

This builds a very good gaming/multimedia/etc system from scratch. Obviously, you could probably re-use the monitor, mouse, keyboard, floppy drive, cd drive, and hard drive from your current computer. (Probably a good idea to buy the CD burner and a bigger drive, though).

Anyway, a brief explanation of why I build my own computers....

(EDIT: picked better monitor)

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I got this one for $600.00 at wALLY wORLD

YERUSALYIM

• Xander
    Xander

That's not a bad price, then. What kind of video card, sound card, ram, and hard drive did they put in it? Did it include a monitor?

I'm basically just building a case against Best Buy and their ilk here...

A (roughly) comparable system at Best Buy would run $700 and not include the monitor, a MUCH CRAPPIER video card, SDRAM (vs DDR), a MUCH CRAPPIER sound card, and no keyboard/mouse.

IOW, a system that, built yourself (from retail store parts), would cost $475, Best Buy will charge you $700 for. If you're a little more frugal with the budget, you could probably shave off another $75 - $125 or so.

Xander F

--George Santayana

• COMF
    COMF

Hey, Xander, how much are you paying yourself per hour to assemble and test the computer? How long does your warranty last?

• Xander
    Xander

I'm sure I'd charge someone at least $20/hr for work on their PC. It would take about 2 hours to assemble and properly test that box. So, tack on $40 to the price.

You may rest assured Best Buy does not pay its computer assemblers $20/hr.

As to warranty? Pffft...who needs it? Look at the price on those components....by the time one breaks, it will be considerably cheaper to just buy a new one. Plus, you'd probably want to get the upgraded one ANYWAY...

(and, in any case, like I said, these are RETAIL prices - you are still buying the components from RETAIL shops - ask them about THEIR warranties - almost all the parts come with decent warranties.)

Xander F

--George Santayana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit