My Jehovah's Witness broke up with me :(

by jws 28 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

@Mum

Exodus 20:5-6: You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

No, it's not the bad parenting of the parents being passed down. It specifically states god will punish the children for the sin of the parent to the third and fourth generation.

it also says he'd show love to a thousand genertions of those who love him. So how does that work? What if your mother's father loved god, but your father's father sinned against him? Does god punish you half the time and show love to you the other half?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Exodus 20:5-6 could work, if it was taken as hyperbole. But then, a person would need to take it all as hyperbole. That would reduce the prohibition against other gods to a suggestion.

S

• sd-7
    sd-7

He broke up with you? Well, don't worry--I'm sure you'll find someone new

--sd-7

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

JWS - Do you have a copy of that document in electronic format that you'd be willing to email to me?

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

"Those scriptures you refer to about God punishing children for the sins of the parents are being misinterpreted by you, I think. I think the verses say that the sins of the fathers will be visited on the sons even to the third and fourth generation. I think that means that when parents don't do the right thing, it has an effect on the children and grandchildren. "

But mum, what about when Noah woke up from his drunken stupor and cursed Canaan, the SON of Ham? Canaan wasn't even involved.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Mum - " I think the verses say that the sins of the fathers will be visited on the sons even to the third and fourth generation. I think that means that when parents don't do the right thing, it has an effect on the children and grandchildren."

Despite the fact that I'm mostly agnostic, I've always viewed that as a semantics thing, too (believe it or not).

To the ancient Bible writers, God was all-powerful, so as far as they were concerned, there was no practical difference between God directly punishing someone for their actions and God simply allowing someone to live with the negative consequences of their actions.

I suspect they were viewed as - for all intents and purposes - one and the same; it's possible that the dichotomy may have never even occurred to them, in fact.

I could be wrong.

• jws
    jws

outsmartthesystem, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll get that to you.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Consolation for your loss:

S

• mP
    mP

The aborted sacrifice of Isaac is an example of the patriach society of those lands. The father of each family had absoluyte power over the lesser ones in the family. This story is trying to teach t he reader, that the most important thing is absolute obedience even when its cruel and difficult. When Jehovah or his representatives order you to die, you better well do it.

• mP
    mP

Isn't lying a trait of the devil?

mP:

While xians claim the devil is the father of the lie, there is no scripture where he actually lied. Did Satan challenge J authority of course he did, but that inconvenient truth doesnt make it a lie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit