Now that I am out, which bible should i read? Feeling free at last!

by Freethinking76 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Freethinking76
    Freethinking76

So, now that I am out for good, which bible should i read? There is no way I will read the wt one..so I still want to have a relationship with God but don't know how to choose a bible. It is very hard to dewired yourself and ,sometimes I feel that I don't have a relationship with him.the what ifs come and go still.last night I was up all night reading and researching , can't shake off the shock still to know ttatt.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Paul Blizzard shared on his website that he and his wife studied a New American Standard translation in secret while he was a witness.

I was taught that the King James Version was the most accurate translation when I was an IFB. An assertion that I later found to be false.

Truth is, there is no ONE translation that is the most accurate but I myself have found that I preferred the latest NIV version and The Message Bible.

• Freethinking76
    Freethinking76

Cool, thanks ,I will be searching for them

• Londo111
    Londo111

Remember there is no ‘only one true Bible’, which is kind of how we thought of the NWT. Having many translations handy is always advisable.

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

Now that you are free to think for yourself, why not start at the beginning, and research some of the following:

1) What is the bible?

2) Who wrote the bible?

3) How did the bible get from the orginal languages to ours today?

4) How were the books of the bible picked to get in?

5) Who picked the books of the bible? (Did they for sure get the right ones in and the right ones out?)

Please don't just assume that the bible is what the JW's told you it was.

elder-schmelder

• James Brown
    James Brown

I like the life application Sstudy bible.

I have read mine cover to cover 5 times.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2686961499725?r=1&cm_mmca2=pla&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Book_45Up-_-Q000000633-_-2686961499725

When I first left the witnesses in 83, I bought a parallel bible.

There were 4 versions side by side.

I read that once. It convinced me that if I don't believe the bible its not because of the translation.

• Satanus
    Satanus

For accuracy, i would recommend the nrsv. For slightly more readability and also accurate, the niv.

S

• cofty
    cofty

Reading the bible whole books at a time is the surest way to see that it is not inspired.

• Freethinking76
    Freethinking76

Good Qs, elder-schemelder ...there is so much info out there

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Freethinking76, Have you tried using http://www.biblegateway.com/ to compare many different versions of the Bible as well as searching the Bible for keywords?

I own a NIV 2008 Study Bible that I like, because I can read what Bible scholars believe was intended by the author and compare it to the scriptures to see whether I agree.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit