Universal sovereignty, The Tower of Babel and witness tampering

by Simon 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sinis
    sinis

Bab-el is literally translated to "Gate of God(s)" NOT "confusion"... (Hebrew similar word of "Balal" means "confusion"), sort of like Beth-el is "House of God(s)"

• Simon
    Simon
    Well, you are all imperfect humans. How do you expect to make logical sense of the doings of an infinitely more intelligent being?

I think that is a bogus argument. T he bible claims to be the inspired word of god written for our benefit - that would mean it was written so that we could understand it.

If we can easily pull it apart as a work of poor fiction, that would signify that the 'inspired' bit is just as fanciful. I mean, he came down to see the tower and next minute he decides to write a book.

It would be hillarious were it not for the people willing to let children die for it.

• carla
    carla

I must be dense (no need to agree) I have never gotten the jw "universal sovreignty" thing. Let's say a jw is out in fs and they are talking to an athiest, well, an atheist has no belief in a god so soveirgn or not makes no difference them one way or another. Might as well tell them the the great spaghetti monster is in charge. What's the point?

Now they knock on a Christian's door, they already know God is in control etc..... and? yeah? next? What is the point? It's like going up to a blue house knocking on the door and telling them 'hey, guess what? you live in a blue house'. What's the point? why do they go on and on about it?

A family member relayed a story about my jw going on and on for ages about jah's soveregnty to a Christian and the Christian did not get his point about the whole matter either. At least I know I'm not alone.

All I can figure is that 'sovereignty' means something else in dubland than it does to the rest of the world.

• sinis
    sinis

Simon, perhaps the same reason or method that the Greeks/Romans could not lift such heavy loads as the much older base stones at the Temple of Jupiter in Baalbek, Lebanon.

• sd-7
    sd-7
    basically plays age of empires for 4000 years

Yes! LOL! I can totally see YHWH with a headset on trading barbs with Satan over Divine FIOS.

YHWH: "Your Babylonians are done, Satan!"

Satan: "No! My moat!"

But clearly this demolishes the idea of sovereignty being the main theme of the Bible. If God did all this stuff, it says that he literally does not want man to progress as a race, and what kind of God is that? He gave man the ability to think and then punishes him everytime he decides to think or combine his thoughts with the thoughts of his fellowman? It would be kind of a sick thing to do...

--sd-7

• sinis
    sinis

Plus, you have to remember that the Genesis account is a plagerized version of the much older Sumerian texts...

• sinis
  • HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Ah Genesis 11... where God's "great plan" of creating a bunch of ignorant dependents to validate himself failed.

Genesis 11:6: The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.

I imagine the plans God is referring to here are... oh.. curing all those diseases he created... discovering sanitation and inventing anti-bactericals to fight all the nasty bugs he created, coming to understand physics, chemistry, biology, etc....

- Lime

• sd-7
    sd-7
    I imagine the plans God is referring to here are... oh.. curing all those diseases he created... discovering sanitation and inventing anti-bactericals to fight all the nasty bugs he created, coming to understand physics, chemistry, biology, etc....

What??? It's obvious that the fruit Eve ate fundamentally altered our DNA, making us vulnerable to various microorganisms we were not otherwise vulnerable to!

--sd-7

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon, perhaps the same reason or method that the Greeks/Romans could not lift such heavy loads as the much older base stones at the Temple of Jupiter in Baalbek, Lebanon.

This is interesting:

http://blog.world-mysteries.com/strange-artifacts/the-trilithon-and-transport-of-the-baalbek-foundation-stones/

One or two heavy stones is one thing but there is a natural limit to building a tower using stone and the Romans pretty much pushed that to it's limit with some incredible ingenuity and engineering. The only reason we can build so high today is we have artificial materials (steel etc...) and hydraulics / cranes that they didn't have.

Also, while we gaze in wonder at super-tall towers we don't think they go to the heavens or are going to tickle gods botty anytime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit