"People often wonder if deaf people can drive, get married, or raise a family."

by cedars 61 Replies latest jw friends

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Is that Jim Carrey at 1:17 in the video?

LOL, Vidiot. Which translation is that?

I think the WT can capitalize on this for a new series of "Young People Ask" articles.

Awake, July 2013 "Young People Ask": "Has A Deaf Jet Pilot Ever Broken the Sound Barrier?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Vidiot: "And lo, I saw a great beast, and its eyes were as the darkest coal, and its ears were as one not born (with them), and its right arm was grotesquely swollen from the endless flogging it suffered unto itself, and I heard it cry out, "Fabulous!", [ and it could sing Broadway showtunes as if of the sound of a trumpet blast, and interior decorate like a tempest storm]

And the earth and the sea wept in fear..."

---

I looked this up in another translation and the bracketed section is there. It could be a spurious text, however...

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Shirley,

It would be awesome if they could get Gilbert Godfried to narrate these videos.

You mean something like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1RcKJVbHA

50 Shades of Gray

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

Oh My God! That is the most piece of crap propaganda I have ever seen! The person doing their voice isn't even voicing it right! I'm actually speechless on how horrible this is! All this is, is a commercial for WTBT$. Bad...Bad....Bad!!!!! This doesn't even make sense to me and I work with Deaf people everyday. I'm going to have to stomach now watching the rest of it.

I do want to point out this video is NOT made for the deaf, this is made for hearing people to say how wonderful WTBT$ is and how much they love and care for the deaf....I'm going to go throw up now

Shyla

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm listening to the Gilbert Gottfried thing at work without the video, and I can't get the image of an animated parrot out of my head...

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

Oh My God. I'm physically ill from watching the whole thing. WOW! I'm speechless!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    diana netherton - "My Facebook page....just might friend you if you ask nicely."

I'm not on FB; never have been.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Shyla, I was waiting to see what you had to say. I am glad someone in the field sees it for what it is, a Watchtower Commercial!

• Gojira_101
    Gojira_101

ADCMS: Oh yea you need to watch out for the deaf they are so obsessive about "self-pleasure" they will just start doing it out in public...It is a real serious problem! NOT! Chalk that up to another WT myth/urban legend.

Okay I will try my best to answer your questions. I can think more clearly now that I'm not ranting about WT propaganda.

First off, if this video was made for deaf people there would be no music and there would be no reason to have that guy talking. I have seen some videos where there is an interpreter who is "voicing" for the deaf person. So the deaf person is signing then you hear the voice of the interpreter, if this was made for a deaf person, the camera would be on the deaf person the whole time, with the voice of the interpreter. That is why I say this video was solely made for the hearing world.

The things he is saying about "people wonder if deaf can drive, get married and raise a family"....You would not believe the stupid questions I get asked about deaf people. I still hear the comments "deaf and dumb" people sometimes ask me where I learned Braille. I even had one woman ask me how deaf people have sex...really...all the parts are the same lady. I have had hearing people ask me how deaf people drive, they are actually very good drivers and I wold rather be in a car with a deaf person driving than with some hearing people... So I do believe that part just because I get asked those same stupid questions all the time.

The thing that got me was the fact what the man was actually signing was not at all what the narrator was saying. Plus just for the fact there is "talking" tells me it's not for a deaf person. If I turned the sound off to this video I wouldn't understand it. It was like the man (narrator) talking was reading a script. For example....

In the very beginning: When the man is fingerspelling his name in ASL. the narrator says the deaf guys full name, but they cut the deaf guy off before he could finish spelling his last name.

At 1:20 the wife signing what she says is...."Your, before, now different, sweet" That is ASL of course and I don't have enough of her "sighs" to put together a proper English translation.

At 1:30 the deaf guy signs..."Second, in the morning family comes together discussions and eats" Funny, that's not really what the narrator says.

At 1:53. She signed "year and release"

At 2:16 "More happy and I noticed my family develop,increased,improved (those are all words to match the sign he used)"

At 2:22 "Read, I love to read, I enjoy, I visualize, it's like a TV screen, I can watch the action and feel....." They cut him off again to show their propaganda. Going back to him This next part is really hard to translate into English, so I personally would say "It's like I go into the TV and become part of the action (I wonder what he would do during the Whanker Brothers video...sorry I had to add that) than I come out of the TV afterwords. It's more visual than reading. It matches me, I love it. I have a stronger connection to that, I cherish"

At 2:54 "Talk sign same language, sign JW parents with sign" So what she was just saying is she can talk with people who know the same language as her parents.

3:58. So The deaf people I know, don't use facial expression that much! Not like the JW deaf. Or like whanker brother 2 who was "enjoying himself" way too much. Yes facial expression is part of ASL grammar, but not that much! That was just a psycho kid.

I hope this all helps. If there are anymore questions please feel free to ask. I will try my best to answer. This whole video just reeked of WTBT$ propaganda. I honestly just think everyone was reading a script. I know for a fact the narrator was not a deaf person...The biggest thing is the vocabulary the narrator was using is the cult language....in ASL some of those are not signs/words.

I hope I answered your questions.

• Simon
    Simon

Hey, we get it ... the WTS released a sign-language video about masturbation - but it's been discussed already. We don't need to bring it up and add smutty comments to threads about deaf people which could be taken as insulting and in bad taste. Please keep things on-topic and free of innuendo. Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit