Religious Intolerence, P-Correctness& Racism.

by Englishman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

I absolutely detest political correctness in any form. I’m a firm believer that there is nothing wrong with a ship being a “She” nor a person being a chairman rather than a chair person.

Some time ago I was sat in a busy restaurant and a person pushing a wheel chair containing an invalid, asked me if I would give up my table so that the invalid person could use it. I was about to leap up and comply, but then I noticed that there were several available tables, so I suggested that they occupy one of these.

They were astonished at my temerity and the invalid person said no, he wanted to sit in my spot so that he could see out of the window more clearly. I refused to budge and they were both outraged at my refusal, callous bastard, Englishman, make way for the disabled!

I hung in there and ignored the scowls and comments that were being hissed around. I was being verbally labelled as some sort of nazi, when all I wanted was some acknowledgement that able-bodied persons have some rights too. Why, I wondered, were my desires deemed less important than those of the guy in the wheelchair?

Moving on a little, some weeks ago Her Ladyship and I were enjoying a quiet pint or three in our local pub, when we were joined by skinhead Steve. He was freshly shaven-headed, the shrapnel hanging out of his ears was highly polished and he was sporting yet another tattoo of a swastika intertwined with a Union Jack.

Immediately he leant over and started to hiss about the “Bloody blacks taking all the best jobs”, the hatred and seething wish for violence were all too evident.

What really got my goat, though was his assumption that I would also feel the same way. When I said that hatred was not the way to deal with the problem, he called me a n***** lover!

So there we are. JW’s reckon I’m for slaughter at Armageddon ‘cos I don’t think like they do, disabled persons think that I’m a nazi ‘cos I wouldn’t give up my seat, and nazi’s think that I’m a n**** lover because I don’t hate black people!

Now I reckon that on all 3 counts I’m in the right, do you agree with me, or would you have acted differently in any of these situations?

Englishman.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

For me, I would have let the person have my seat. Whether or not that person actually deserved that seat is irrelevant to me. I just think being confined in a wheelchair would present enough difficulties in life that if I can give up my window seat so I could make that person's life a little better, I would do it.

Now I know my reply is itself not politically correct, because physically challenged people do not generally want to be treated different or felt sorry for. But my reply is an honest one and I am an accomodating person in such matters that I ultimately feel are irrelevant to me.

I would not criticize you though for what you did, because you might have actually been more politically correct than I and you were well within your rights.

I don't think the skinhead situation was quite as comparable, but political correctness surounding racism is always a hot topic. Topics such as affirmative action and things such as race profiling for criminals lead down a fiery path.

Political correctness is a difficult topic for me to make a final statement on. Probably because it is not politically correct to be entirely honest anymore I think, like most topics like this, it needs to be approached with reasonableness and balance and an open mind.

Path

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I think you were right on each account Eman.

If you had been using the disabled toilet just because you like the wide berth and the privacy, then that's an entirely different story. As much as I have sympathy for disabled people...some things simply come down to manners. Wheelchair bound peole are not the only disabled people who eat in restaurants...I have seen blind, deaf and even dwarf people sit in the ordinary seats with ordinary people..no privileges and no expectations. If I were in your situation, I would have done the same thing as you. My partner Andy on the other hand, he would have got up and given them his seat, paid for their meal and helped them to the car...and all the while he'd be muttering under his breath 'the poor bugga'. I'd be sitting opposite him muttering 'you stupid bugga'. (please excuse my use of the word bugga)

Also, violence and hatred is in all races....no matter what colour. I don't think you have to 'hate' to disagree and you don't have to resort to violence to make your point. It is sometimes easier to change the tone of the conversation as a diversion...rather then getting dragged into racial debates. Racial tension is everywhere in every country...its hard to escape its poison. I try to disengage myself from hateful people full stop...I dont have time to get an ulcer. I think you did well.

Beck

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Beck:

If you had been using the disabled toilet just because you like the wide berth and the privacy, then that's an entirely different story.
    Hell. You mean that's a bad thing to do? Hell.

I think you were right on the disabled thing, Englishman. Disabled people have every right to expect consideration from others because of their physical difficulties, but they have no right to expect that their aesthetic wants be given special consideration. His liking for a window seat is irrelevant to his disability, and he was merely using his disability as a social warfare tool in order to further his own self-interest.

Expatbrit

• Francois
    Francois

Do you remember the story of the man and his son who were taking a donkey to town to have it shoed?

The two of them were leading the donkey when a couple passed them going in the oppopsite direction. The man and his son overheard them saying, "Look at the stupid country bumpkins leading that donkey. One of them could ride." So the son jumped up on the donkey.

Ten minutes later, another couple passed and the man and his son overheard them say, "Look at the selfish son letting his old father walk while he rides." So the son jumped down and the father jumped up.

Ten minutes later, another couple passed and the man and his son overheard them say, "Look at the selfish father making his son walk while he rides. So...

This keeps on going as you can tell and I certainly won't bore you with all the permutations and combinations. But the storal of the morey is all about trying to please anyone but yourself. It just can't be done.

I'm with Thoreau, "...let him step to the drummer he hears, no matter how measured or far away."

Francois

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Englishman:

In the spirit of Cromwell, and many other courageous "brits", I think you did the right thing. I know for a fact I would not have given up my seat while many other tables were available. What's so difficult about pushing or wheeling oneself over a few more feet to another unoccupied table?

I wonder how the invalid would have fared 300 years ago in the same situation?

Also, when it rains it pours. Sometimes, you are always wrong no matter what the obvious facts say. That's the trouble with speaking from the heart, plainly and without an agenda. People cannot handle the truth.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

We in America have taken it to the extreme. We have tried so hard to make everyone feel good, that there is no way it will work. We talk about free speech until someone says "you stepped on my toes verbally, apologize." Then the free speech is out the window.

I would not have given up my table, however, as Beck said, her partner would, so would mine...and call me mean for not wanting to.

Again, as noted, you just cannot win.

When Warner Brothers removes Speedy Gonzales as a charactor because it is politically incorret, something is wrong. Peppy LaPue is next. Then Elmer Fudd, god forbid we insult hunters.

• Joseph Joachim
    Joseph Joachim

Englishman,

I think you should have told the Skinhead that if he were decent society he would find a job; that he shouldn't blame negroes if he's white trash and has nothing good to offer a prospective employer. I don't know how intimidating the Skinhead was, though, so I don't judge you. Anyways, I think you were right on each account.

Political correctness is rare in Switzerland, and certainly inexistent in Latin America. It seems to be mostly an American trait, probably because they go out of their ways trying not to offend people, which is not bad in itself but waters down any conversation that is not about the weather. I was just reading in the newspaper that a rumor started to roll that Cartoon Network wouldn't air Speedy Gonzales anymore, because they thought it might be offensive to Mexicans. Guess who were the first to protest? The Mexicans!

• Joseph Joachim
    Joseph Joachim

Puffsrule,

If you continue reading my thoughts I will sue you for invading my privacy. (Sueing someone for no reason is another American trait, after all).

JJ

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Free speech is a wonderful thing. So long as we agree with what's being said, of course.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit