Tech49 on DC: Experiences are not truthful

by Tech49 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Tech49
    Tech49

I was sent a link to a homemade video from our summer District Convention, not the one I attended, but the next weekend. It was a video of a local brother, relating his "experience" of "trusting in Jehovah", and how he was blessed.

It was just about 1 short minute long. Ms Harper showed it to me first, she wanted to get my comment on it before she said a word.

Background: We both know this brother, he is about our age, so we know the "real" story.

Anyways, his story goes like this: This experience goes back about 10 years (jeez, we must be really searching for the experiences now!). He was injured on a constrution jobsite, pretty severely, put him on permanent disability. Truth. Here is where his story went quickly awry, no doubt at the behest and prodding of the brother giving the talk, and the CO, in order to make it "fit" the part.

During his recovery period, he is asked how Jehovah blessed his efforts. Answer (in a sad, quiet voice, begetting a remourseful, sorrowful tone, sounded like he was going to start bawling..): "Even tho the injury I sustained was traumatic, and had a very negative effect on me spiritually, I continued to pray alot. The brothers in the congregation looked after me, and Jehovah continued to provide for me and my family. Now we are in a much better place, and are doing much better spiritually. We learned to trust in Jehovah with everything we had..he blessed our efforts and continues to do so to this day."

To the casual observer, and anyone not knowing any better, we can see a family that went thru real hardship, trusted in Jehovah, and made it thru the tough times, and were being blessed because of their faithfullness. You may even have shed a tear.

Now, here's the REAL backstory: This guy is lazy. He's a mooch, and sucks up freebies faster than a hoover on HI. Just my opinion of course, but one that is shared by alot of others. While injured and recovering (we will give him that, his injuries were indeed real and NOT something any of us would like to go thru), him and his wife lived with his mom and dad. Meanwhile, over the next few years, his injuries did not stop him from pumping her up enough to spit out more kids. He healed up, but 'couldnt find work'. She was perfectly capable of working, but chose not to (why would she want to?), despite the free day care at mom and dads. All the while, they were pretty much inactive, to the point of not being seen for months at a time. The congregation tired quickly of efforts to "care" for them, and let them do their own thing. It was obvious that they were milking the system, and taking advantage of their brothers.

Jehovah provided for them??? Ya, bunch of crap. Try wellfare, food stamps, and more state benefits. Us taxpayers provided for them. I can remember them boasting about the great healthcare they were receiving, and isnt it great that they are pregnant again!!! FREE HEALTHCARE FOR ALL! Then, oh, Jehovah blessed them with a new house!!!! Goverment subsidies all over!! Still, the puke had no job! Last I saw them, a few months ago, they were happy! Its a no wonder, with free healthcare and a free house.

Just made me sick to see that this is what we are subjected to: twisted, out of context, made-up experiences that are supposed to show how we need to rely on Jehovah and his organization, when the TRUTH is far from what we are actually hearing.

I KNOW FOR A FACT that this "experience" was stretched, painted over, manipulated, and "made to fit" this part on the DC. Truth, it was not.

I looked at Ms Harper, and gave her the WTF? look..... she just grinned and laughed. Gotta love her.

Jack Harper, Tech49

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Gotta admit that I've known some where they really s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d the truth, but not as bad as what you're saying.

I do recall one experience on the convention where a teen said he had placed an Evolution Book with his science teacher and each student in his class. The following day, the teacher asked for a copy for each student in his other classes too. Thus, said teen publisher placed 150 or 200 books total. ALL TOTAL BULLSHIT. He laughed his ass off at how gullible they were to believe his experience.

Doc

• Wayward Son
    Wayward Son

I was sent a link to a homemade video from our summer District Convention

Not just any District Convention. The God's Word is Truth District Convention.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I remember being coerced into preaching to my Grade 1 teacher by my mom..

She would not get off my back until I did it..

Which got me an experience assembly part I never expected,or wanted..

No mention was ever made I was forced into everything..

Including having a part at the assembly..

If you read posts on JWN..

About people giving experiences from an Assembly stage..

You`ll find out it`s 10% facts/90% Bullshit..

..................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

True!! I remember hearing one experience where I *KNOW* that the sister's part was heavily changed. She was a single mom, on a disability income. She had two children. However, the CO wanted the part to be more "typical" of the average single-mom's experience. So they changed her part to make her a tired, hard-working mom with two jobs, and gave her an extra child to boot!

She told me how dishonest this made her feel, yet the CO assured her that this experience would be more far-reaching and helpful in addressing the needs of the circuit, etc. Also told her how blessed and honored she would be to play this part in helping a larger group of Jehovah's people.

• cult classic
    cult classic

LOL Tech49.

When I was a teenager my uncle related an experience at the circuit assembly. As a result of witnessing to a co-worker, the guy, his wife and kids all had come into the truth. I asked my parents who he was talking about. Turns out he was talking about an inactive brother who'd gotten baptized before he was married with kids. And to boot, he and his wife didn't raise their kids as JWs. They rarely came to meetings and were never baptized.

He relayed the same experience about 15 years later as if it were even newer than the first time he'd related it...roflmao!

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I stopped believing the DC experiences way back in 1968. At the 68 DC they had an older sister from my congo give an experience about her 40 years of active servic. She related how she became a JW in the early 1930s, was active preaching, and how she was blessed, etc. This didn't go over well with the older JWs in our Circuit who knew the sister's real story. Moreover, I conducted the CBS in her home and she had told me a totally different story. The truth is that the sister was contacted by JWs in 1930 or 1931 and took their books. Later she attended a few meetings but didn't do any preaching. None of her children became JWs, in fact her sons served in the military during WWII for which she received a patriotic medal, which she wore proudly during the war. Instead of being a JW, she was really what they used to call "an interested person." She didn't really become an active JW until the mid 1950s. So instead of the 40 faithful years of service that was claimed in the DC experience, it was really less than 15.

Since the sister was honest in relating here life story to individuals in the congo, my guess is that she yielded to pressure from CO to embellish her story. No doubt he appealed to her JW patriotism. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ask her why the story she told me was so much different from what she related at the DC.

• What Now?
    What Now?

I can vouch that this is the truth!

I was asked to give a part on a circuit assembly about successful experiences while distributing invitations for the memorial. I had a decent experience on the surface (we skipped a do not call, only to have a guy come out just on his way to work and ask us why we had skipped it. Long story short, he ended up bringing a vanful of people with him to the memorial, started studying and attending meetings and one of his friends began studying in another congregation). I typed up the experience and sent it to the brother handling the part. It came back to me slightly rewritten, sounding much better then it actually was.

What the circuit didn't hear, was that this old guy was basically a con man, that skipped out on his rent and took off without a trace a few months after the memorial. An older brother in our hall was assigned to study with him, but they never actually studied. His "friends" that came with him to the memorial were people with serious mental issues that he basically met off the street - one of them partook at the memorial and the one that began "studying" in another congregation was such a whackjob that she scared off the sister that was assigned to call on her and she stopped going back.

I raised these concerns to the brother who asked me to do the part ... But apparently, because the part was about successful experiences INVITING people to the memorial, from that point of view, I had a successful experience.

• Mum
    Mum

One sister in my congregation happened to go to two different assemblies one year. She told me that she had believed that the person on stage relating the experience was the real person who actually had the experience. However, at another assembly, there was an entirely different person relating the same experience.

Apparently, all assemblies have to have the same experiences on the program, the person who actually had the experience (if it happened at all) can't go to all of the assemblies.

• Tech49
    Tech49

Mum, I don't think that is the case, unless there is a LACK of good experiences to go around, so maybe they are "shared". I know at our Convention, the experiences were different for that particular part that I mentioned at the outset. I guess the whole point is the same though..... there is little regard to the truthfullness and validity of the actual experience itself... if it "fits" the part, or can be twisted, manipulated, cut and pasted into the part, it doesn't matter if it is real or make-believe.

That's what I can't get behind, falsifying "experiences" to make a "point".

Reminds me of another time when I had a part on the Circuit Assembly, and we had to practice in front of the CO and the DO prior to the assembly. So we had to sit thru several parts, as others were practicing for them too. Even then, I remember noticing that they often asked the brothers doing the parts to "embellish" a little to make it more exciting. I remember sitting there, thinking... "how is that right?"..... But who are we to question the CO and the DO, along with the big whigs of the circuit?? Certainly not little ol' me..... I was just privileged to have a part, right?

Anyways, now I can't look the same at the "experiences" I hear......... what you hear is 90% made up.

Dishonesty is NOT the quality found in true Christians, I dont care where you are from.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit