Went to DC... wife had a moment of clarity

by leaving_quietly 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

So, off we went to the DC. The public talk was "What is Truth". In it, the speaker said, "The truth can stand up to any scrutiny." I was listening, but staring across the stadium. Out of the corner of my eye, my wife, who was taking notes, looked up quickly, as if in shock at the statement, then glanced over at me. I looked at her briefly, then went back to staring across the stadium. When I say brief, I mean like a half-second. The look I caught, though, was as if what she heard did not compute, as if she awakened for the very first time, as if to ever-so-briefly understand exactly what I've been going through. Alas, it didn't last. She went back to sleep.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

It's a start. Keep nudging her gently, perhaps reminding her of that brief moment of wakefulness!

• Tech49
    Tech49

That, my friend, is the glimmer that occurs when the reasoning faculties within us are startled. What we hear suddenly sounds silly. Something is amiss. A little red flag, with a flashing light, warning buzzers, etc. The intelligent ones catch it.

Our brothers and sisters have been taught how to reach over and hit the "cancel" button on the alarm. Its not her fault, obviously something is going on in her mind. Sooner or later, they will go off more and more, and cannot be ignored.

Savor that moment, build on it, use it for a topic for conversation at a later time.

Ha ha.... I said "Topic for Conversation"......

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Try not to be too discouraged. My hubby (Baalamsass) started to wake up some time before i did. I found his copy of Crisis of Concience and threw it away! He hadn't even had a chance to read it. I did this because (wait for it) I actually thought the book would invite demonz into our house! He patiently shared tiny tidbits he read with me- never tmi at one time. Eventually, I started to lurk on this board and BAM it was like a 2x4 across my head. i woke up almost instantly. In fact, I ended up making faster progress than hubby bc I had more time to spend here. The point is, things can change. Hang in there! Spoon feed her short points you think might already bother her but never too much or too often. Wait for clues indicating she might be ready for more. Best of luck

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

my guess.... she was looking to see your reaction and if you'd make a big deal over it

don't bring it up unless she does or else she'll jump all over you

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

@wallsofjericho - that was my first thought. However, the expression on her face was truly one of surprise. I do think she was gauging my reaction at the same time, but the look was unmistakable.

She has been doing a LOT of reading on how to deal with disappointments. I think she's disappointed with me. However, in one of her stacks of older WTs, there was one that the cover article was "Is there only one True Religion?" (or something like that). I looked through the magazine to see what article she might be reading, and NONE were about disappointment. Makes me think maybe she's starting to question things a little. I have been absolutely silent on any topic related to WT teachings. I figure either she'll wake up or she won't. She'll have to do it when she's ready, though. I am fully awake now. Anything WT-related is pretty much background noise. I'm going through the motions for the moment, but that's about it.

• Comatose
    Comatose

I used open ended questions to get my wife thinking. Praise or agree with the answers to those questions. Encourage the thinking process. Don't be negative or they will feel obligated to defend. Just talk more. Ask questions. Get her viewpoint. Especially if its about something she may not agree with the party line on. Don't go to far. In the beginning they will start to talk some about doubts but if get too excited or agree too much they will tense up and revert. It's a dangerous game trying to save people.

"Hey hon, something in the Sunday talk struck me. They said the truth can stand up to any scrutiny. I know we've been encouraged to prove the truth to ourselves too. But, for people like me who are having a hard time, its a tough situation. What do you think they meant by that?"

Don't give a different opinion than hers. Just listen and encourage her to keep talking with more questions.

• carla
    carla

They said what?! You gotta be freakin' kidding me! They actually said, " "The truth can stand up to any scrutiny."-- I have been saying that to my jw since the day he joined this damn cult and now THEY come out with it?! Wish they would practice what they preach.

• man oh man
    man oh man

The speaker also said check the facts yourself. He said don't take our word for it! I could feel the tension in the air of all of the momentary awakeness of the audience that lasted only two seconds.

This short lived moment was worth putting up with the entire weekend.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

LOL!!!!!! "The truth can stand up to any scrutiny." LOL!!! An Elder told me, " The truth can handle any investigation, but you may not be able to." WTH!!?? LOL!! His view was that examining the WTBTS's teachings and history ( I mentioned the UN ) too closely would destroy my relationship with JEHOVAH(tm). You KNOW he heard that at Elder's school! Everything is the rank&files fault...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit