Education Double Standard

by Tech49 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Tech49
    Tech49

This is the kind of thing that really burns me.

WTBTS holds out an EXTREME double standard in regards to education. Most, if not all, of you know how they feel about obtaining an education past High School (in the U.S.). They mention it frequently, as something uneccessary, woldly, and frivilous. In some of my recent notes from our last Circuit Assembly, one speaker said " we dont need additional education, we are the most educated people in the world! When it comes to "worldly" schools, we just need a "good" education."

Crap, complete crap. And here's why I say that:

Recently, the congregations all received a letter from the branch in regards to the project at Warwick, and how much work will be done thru 2015. In addition to that letter, they sent a second page that listed the TRADES SKILLS NEEDED FOR PROJECTS AT U.S. BETHEL.

It is quite an extensive list, with most of the standard trades that you would expect....Concrete, equipment operators, electrical, roofing, drywall, tile, carpet, etc etc. In addition to the trades was the classification of CONSTRUCTION SUPPORT. These skills would include the following: HVAC Engineers/Designers, Electrical Engineers/Designers, Structural Engineers/Designers, Building Control Engineers/Designers, Quality Control Engineers, AV Systems Engineers/Designers, among others. Yes, we would like you to bring your extensive schooling and background to New York to help us build a Multi-Million dollar extravaganza!

Last time I checked, to be in the field as an ENGINEER, specifically Structural, Building Control, Electrical, and HVAC............ it REQUIRED extensive education. This is NOT education that can be obtained in the first 12 years of public school. It is NOT a classification that can be obtained through experience alone. It is very specific to COLLEGE education.

So let me get this straight..... you DISCOURAGE, STRONGLY, higher education, to the point of hate speech, removing elders, chastising families, deleting brothers from privileges of "service", removing brothers and sisters as pioneers..... but if you JUST HAPPEN to have an ENGINEERING degree, well then we could sure use you! Which means you fit into one of two classes: 1: You didnt listen to us, and got an education anyways, or 2: came from the "world" with your education in hand. But no matter.

Really, came from the world with an Engineering Degree? I could probably count on one hand how many individuals would fit into this category in the entire U.S. I know one elder personally that was SENT to get his Degree in Engineering by the Local RBC, because there were so many local projects coming up. Nope, not making it up. Said Elder missed WEEKS and MONTHS of congregation meetings because he was taking night classes, yet no one could say a word because he had the blessing of the branch. Oh, there were quite a few folks that were baffled by that one, lots of grumbling from the older ones!

Why, you ask, does this irritate me? When graduating High School myself, I was well on my way to obtaining a degree in Structural Engineering and Design, but was very specifically told to abandon any hopes and dreams and SCHOLARSHIPS (full ride, mind you), as it was striving after the world, and was in full pursuit of "worldly" things. Besides, I would NEVER need them! We had another "experience" at our CA just recently, of a local sister, smart bright young gal, who gave up her full-ride scholarship to be a pioneer. Yay! clap clap clap clap clap....how wonderfull......!!! She will be so blessed!!! No engineering in her future! Here's a scrub brush and a vacuum!

Sickening, just sickening. To give up that kind of opportunity is just plain retarded, in my humble opinion. People that encourage and promote that kind of demented thinking should be ashamed of themselves.

Complete DOUBLE STANDARD!

Lesson for today: Get your education, pursue what you dream of. Let NO ONE tell you otherwise.

RANT OFF

Jack Harper, Tech49

• clarity
    clarity

Jack harper .... words of wisdom!

Stupid Cult!!!!

How many lives have they ruined!

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

OH YISS. Bumping for solidarity.

I am still a JW, and I totally have my justified doubts and this was something that has always bothered me. I am going to college anyways, and I feel that I am being put on the backburner in the congregation, but whatever. I am happy to do what I am doing. When I graduated with Honors with my AAS in English in just nine months, I looked in the mirror and I felt truly proud. As some may know about me, I was screwed out of a 60K scholarship and A LOT MORE (I wasn't denied to ANY college), but my mom refused to go along with it, so I went to my local Community College and got my AAS when I was 18, and I am 19 now (just turned 19). I have come to accept the fact the reason why the WBTS don't want us to go to college is mind control, essentially. I am known to be precocious and logically, the JW doctrine does not add up ,but I am the only one who sees this, and I am way too fearful to talk about the TTATT to my family. So I hope that one day that they can see it for themselves. Until then, I will begin a slow fade. B|

-Thoughtless

• Comatose
    Comatose

It's changed so much. When I was a kid, college was very bad. Then it was okay if you need it to support yourself pioneering, now very bad again. Seems like a flip flop.

• haboob48
    haboob48

Hi Tech49,

Thanks for sharing that, I think this being read by those lurking young and old alike will benefit. Everything the GB does seems to have an agenda that benefits themselves. My hope is that any and all JW's strive for higher education. It seems they are "cherry picking" humans as well.

hb48

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Tech49:

Sad but true. They want you to get an education only IF THEY CAN DIRECTLY BENEFIT FROM IT.

If they cannot directly benefit from people's education, they would rather the people didn't get an education. Does the religion care if they can't afford a roof over their head or food on the table and suffer the rest of their life eking out a living?

Thoughtless:

There is also a jealousy and intimidation factor, I think. They are simply irritated that others have surpassed them in the education department and this makes them feel inferior. They can't have this so they demonize education and want to drive the educated person away fron them. Unless, of course, that educated person has a skill THEY CAN USE.

My heart goes out to anybody who listened to their bad advice.

• awaken2004
    awaken2004

I agree with all your comments. The org is so fearful of their members learning to think outside the box and discouraging college is a way to prevent that. If I had HS to do over again I would pursue a career in music of some kind. They say it's never too late but priorities make things challenging.

Now I am looking forward to teaching my child (1st one the way ) to follow his dreams and think for himself.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'm pretty sure that once I have my engineering degree, I won't be interested in wasting any of my time with Watchtower.

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

Long Haired Gal,

Yeah, that is pretty much about right. I know for a fact that a lot of people are intimidated by my intelligence, so I keep to myself. It is safer this way. I am pretty witty and well informed and my greatest strength is expounding and weaving concepts. I am careful to really externalize my intelligence too much, TOO DANGEROUS.

- Thoughtless

• Adventurousone
    Adventurousone

Hello Tech49:

Great post. There are so many of us out there that have gone through this. Not getting more educated. This was suppose to help us to take care of our families and to have better paying jobs. And how many are suffering now because of this. We could of become anything we wanted to, but instead we were good little robots for the WTBTS. ( I WILL OBEY.) It's a sad story being played out by so many of us. And I hope more JWS and ExJWS further their education so they'll be to be able to take care of themselves and their families.

Adventurousone

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit