Preview of Forum vNext - "Return of JWD"

by Simon 47 Replies latest forum announcements

• steve2
    steve2

It looks very promising and would appear to be easier to navigate within. It feels strange and at the same time I can see myself growing to like it a lot. Fantastic effort Simon.

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks, hopefully people will find it easier and faster to jump around.

I guess the best test is when you use both - I find while I develop and then come back to the current .net site that it seems harder to read and to navigate.

Looking forward to rolling it out, not least to get rid of lots of old technology and a clunky codebase. New features will be much easier to implement on the new site going forward.

It should be a lot of fun ...

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Thanks for all your hard work,Simon. Also glad that the Captcha log in is going away.

Bangalore

• Simon
    Simon

Captcha won't disappear entirely - to protect accounts it will appear after a certain number of failed attempts to prevent brute-force attacks.

For regular users signing in though it's a pain so it doesn't appear for normal use.

• besty
    besty

if it was me Simon I would lose the banner ads of the home page - its distracting and doesnt look good and presumably you dont want people bouncing right off the site...

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I'm still experimenting with ad placement and types. Right now I have ads just appear for non-authenticated visitors so that will typically be search engine traffic and saves regular users having to see or block them.

The exact ad sizes and locations will probably change over time - I'm planning a tresponsive design and want the ads to be not too intrusive for each layout but still have to pay the bills.

Thanks for the feedback!

• besty
    besty

would be interesting to plan a model without ads - I'd give you 5 bucks a months with no ads :-)

If 5% of regular users would do likewise maybe you have an alternative...?

• Simon
    Simon

Maybe ... hopefully it works with the ads for anonymous / new visitors only.

If I was going to charge for things then I'd rather it be something extra that we offered such as photo-storage space or some features that justified the cost

One thing I have thought of is having a 'verified member' status which would utilise payment systems (as it's harder to be an anonymous troll then). It would maybe give people that extra confidence that they are dealing with a real person (not that I'd share the information, just act as a form of trust-escrow)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit