Caring for the flock. Questions for elders.

by BeautifulGarbage 16 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Time becomes Corban.
    Spend it with strangers rather than family.

I don't really like responding to this kind of thread, as it comes over as chest thumping, but the truth is I used to do my best.
    I'm not going to go into detail.

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

You mean you're not Circuit Overseers?

No, but we did sleep in a Days Inn across the street from a kingdom hall.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

BeautifulGarbage,

I'll give you an example of how twisted the system is.

We had an 80 years old sister who pioneered up to the last few years of her life. She missed only 3 meetings in 20 years and as I conducted the WT I always looked for her hand because she would give old experiences demonstrating faithfulness.

Her driving got so bad we arranged for a few different friends to pick her up and take her home. When her arthritis got sever enough she could not do her dishes or clean her home, we organized several friends to go in and clean for her and take care of her needs.

This was her undoing. Two sisters found the remains of chewing tobacco in several places while cleaning. Organizing her closet others found fresh cans of snuff. She had been counseled about this habit years ago so the judicial committee, according to WT guidelines, found no basis for mercy. At age 80 and sickly she was cut off from everyone she knew. She died about six months later.

Yes she got loving attention from the friends until it was found she had violated one of the WT rules. Then we discarded her to die.

Jst2laws

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jst2:
    That is beyond sad, it's sick!
    What wonderful love, huh?

• outnfree
    outnfree

((((jst2))))

Path wrote

I realize this sounds pathetic, but I believe that if hour credits were granted for visiting the elderly, more people would choose to do this over the ministry and they would be better cared for.
    And I was about to agree 100% and then [self-righteously still! lol] reply that the elders at MY old hall allowed at least the pioneers to count visiting the elderly at home and the sick in hospitals as time (and I always did, too -- I personally felt it was a conscience matter!)...

...but then I sadly read Mulan's news

They recently had a talk on the service meeting to remind everyone that they cannot count their time visiting the sick and elderly.
    And they are now actually calling themselves the CHRISTIAN Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses?!!! For shame!

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• blondie
    blondie

What a unloving, unmerciful thing to do. I wonder if these "helpful ones" asked that older sister for permission to root around in the closets? I wonder what would be found in their "closets"?

Matthew 9 (NASB)
    11 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to His disciples, "(1) Why is your Teacher eating with the tax collectors and sinners?"
    12 But when Jesus heard this, He said, "It is not (2) those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick.
    13 "But go and learn (3) what this means: '(4) I DESIRE COMPASSION, [1] AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for (5) I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Matthew 9 (The Amplified Bible)
    11And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to His disciples, Why does your Master eat with tax collectors and those [preeminently] sinful?
    12But when Jesus heard it, He replied, Those who are strong and well (healthy) have no need of a physician, but those who are weak and sick.
    13Go and learn what this means: I desire mercy [that is, [1] readiness to help those in trouble] and not sacrifice and sacrificial victims. For I came not to call and invite [to repentance] the righteous (those who are upright and in right standing with God), but sinners (the erring ones and all those not free from sin).(1)

James 2 (The Amplified Bible)
    13For to him who has shown no mercy the judgment [will be] merciless, but mercy [full of glad confidence] exults victoriously over judgment.

James 2 (NASB)
    13 For (1) judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.

• SYN
    SYN

Jst2Laws: OMG, I can't believe that...but it's typical, you know? Being a Dub is just like being a character from 1984 or the old CCCP, people are trained to inform on other people. Sick, sick, sick!

Seven006: "Have you tried drugs? Shooting up a little heroin might do the trick, it's hard to type when your stoned out of your mind. I don't know how TR does it!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit