Why do witnesses listen to their GB

by speargrass55 11 Replies latest jw friends

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

Hello everyone, I want us to discuss the GBs right to control JWs. The GB claim, and rf JWs believe that they can't understand the Bible without help from the GB. When you ask them why they listen to the GB you hear stuff like

-God inspires them

-They have god's holy Spirit.

I guess what I want to know is the nature of their inspiration, do they hear voices, does God come to them in dreams or do they see visions or do they have some sort of burning bush at Brooklyn only they are privy to.

• sspo
    sspo

None of the above. They continue to interpret the bible because they realize the doctrines and prophecies don't make sense or not fulfilled and they are forced to come up with new thing. God is not involved a bit...it's a man made organization like all the rest.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The biggest kicker is that they claim they aren't inspired by god... just directed by him. This way, they can just claim they are imperfect men doing the best they can. Wait... but god is directing them... so god directed them in the wrong direction? If you had a GPS that was constantly giving you incorrect directions, you'd say that was a pretty crappy GPS.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

The way I had understood this situation was that they were guided by Jehovah's spirit and were directed to act in accordance with it. Supposedly their prayers and their study of the scriptures were what helped them to make decisions for the organization.

As far as why the JW's listen, well first because they feel that their religion has been blessed with a special relationship with the Creator and second because if you believe a group of men have a hotline to God why question it? Is this the prudent course of action?

No, of course not and inevitably many of us have left because we could not comprehend how an organization that claimed to be guided by God's spirit acts and believes in things that are in direct contradiction with it.

• designs
    designs

Why does an obedient Catholic listen to the Pope. Humans are funny about needing a leader(s).

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Speaking for myself I believed they were appointed in 1919 when God's chariot 'wheeled down' like it did to the prophet Exekiel and they were commissioned to serve as 'the mouthpiece and active agent of Jehovah'

(Quotes from The Nations Shall Know That I am Jehovah-How 1971)

I also believed that the preaching work was in fulfillment of Matthew 24:14 and that they were the only ones doing this and were successful in preaching in over 200 lands. Evidence to me of their appointment.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I feel many who became JW came in with a need to be part of something. The GB teach a us against them thinking. And many can relate to that. Also I know for my parents they came from really messed up background and Cults are great in giving these type of people structure in their lives. Again this is just some of the reasons and when told if you don't listen to the GB you are actually not listening to God. Will that is the cement that keeps this bond working. Totally ADD

• Adventurousone
    Adventurousone

Hello Speargras55:

And welcome your a newbie too. Let me just say, if they were truly guided by God then wouldn't they get things right all the time, since God is the all knowing. How many times they have LIED to us. You see God the true God can't and won't lie. So why would he use these men to represent him. You see if God says it once then it should come true shouldn't it? So we need to stop pretending that they have the truth when they tell the LIES to us .

Adventurousone

• Mum
    Mum

When I went back to college in my 30's, I was having a discussion with another "older" student about people's priorities. My friend summed it up this way: Most people are just looking for somebody to follow.

As much as I detest my decision to become a JW, I'm so glad I didn't meet some other charismatic cult leader first. Charles Manson comes to mind, a man who appeared to "have it all together" as we said in the '70's.

• Comatose
    Comatose

They are for all practical purposes inspired by god. Although you'd find quotes saying they are not, the truth is they also say they are in different words. So don't accept them and lose gods favor and be one with the devil... It's a great setup.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit