Can Anointed Members Be Disfellowshiped?

by Cold Steel 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Since the anointed class used to be the faithful and discreet slave, I wondered if and how they can be disciplined through being disfellowshiped? Aren't they given a little more latitude in how they interpret scriptures and in what they say? Do people in Kingdom Halls who have anointed members defer to them in any way? And how would elders confirm that a person is actually anointed.

I've never actually attended a Kingdom Hall service, but people being what they are, I suspect many members would roll their eyes if they learned Brother Brown partook of the memorial emblems. If what I've heard is true, don't people who think they're anointed have to tell the elders of their status? If Brother Brown tells the elders one of the following, which would, in your mind, be the most plausible?

• I was reading the Watchtower about the heavenly class and suddenly was overwhelmed that I was of that class.
    • The other night I had a vivid dream in which I was resurrected as a glorious spirit. I've had the dream several times this week.
    • When the memorial was passed last week, I suddenly had an overpowering urge to partake, and so I did.

I don't know how people announce these things to the elders, nor what happens if the elders don't agree. Which is more prestigious? Being an elder or being a member of the heavenly class? Are there cases where someone declares and then is badmouthed by members in the congregation? I understand declaring when you're not really a member of that class is a serious sin. If you do everything else right, but are wrong about that, would Jehovah forgive you? Or would you forfeit your resurrection?

Finally, after becoming a Jehovah's Witness, how long does it take before you're informed that you are of that class? Are we talking days, months or years?

Thanks!

• Scully
    Scully

The way it is explained, a person who is of the Anointed™ just knows that they are one of the Anointed™.

It's said that when someone of the Anointed™ reads the Bible™ it is as if it was a letter written to them by God.

Now, having said that, the WTS has made it abundantly clear that the number of 144,000 Anointed Ones™ was pretty much used up by the 1930s. They have allowed that there may be some individuals whose status was revoked due to Apostasy™ or some other Unforgiveable Sin™, and those few individuals would need to be replaced. However, there have been some who have claimed to be of the Anointed™ (I know of two personally) late into the 20th century, and the Congregation™ and the Elders™ generally go along with the claim provided the person doesn't make a big deal of their status.

To answer your question, they can be Disfellowshipped™. In fact both of the people I knew who claimed to be of the Anointed™ ended up being DFd.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Ray Franz was df'd. One example.

• blondie
    blondie

According to the WTS the man df'd in Corinith was anointed, they all were in the 1st century. He was "reinstated" too so it is not a permanent situation.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I don't know how people announce these things to the elders, nor what happens if the elders don't agree.

There's no announcement. One simply partakes of the bread and wine at the Memorial. If the elders don't agree, tough for them, it's not for them to decide. According to JW theology, it is a personal matter that God reveals to the individual. That doesn't mean the elders might not make life difficult for the person if they disagree, but it would have to be in other ways, not because of the person's profession of anointing.

Which is more prestigious? Being an elder or being a member of the heavenly class?

Probably being an elder. It certainly carries more power and influence, especially since the "new light" about the F&DS

Are there cases where someone declares and then is badmouthed by members in the congregation?

Probably, since JWs will bad-mouth anybody in the congregation who's different. But I'm not personally familiar with any instances,

I understand declaring when you're not really a member of that class is a serious sin. If you do everything else right, but are wrong about that, would Jehovah forgive you? Or would you forfeit your resurrection?

According to their theology, one who partakes unworthily eats and drinks his own destruction. They understand "partaking unworthily" to mean partaking if one is not truly anointed. Obviously, if one does this deliberately, there would be little hope unless he or she repented before Armageddon.

Finally, after becoming a Jehovah's Witness, how long does it take before you're informed that you are of that class? Are we talking days, months or years?

The only one who informs you, according to their understanding is Jehovah through the holy spirit. He can inform you at any time and in any way that he wants. It might be immediately upon baptism, or after many years of faithful service.

Understand that I do not agree with their theology; I'm merely trying to answer your questions as a JW might.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

When I was in my early 20s an elderly African American sister was DFd around age 70.

Not to get off thread direction, but have to share: I was acquainted with a brother at a young age @ 16 or so. He was baptized at 18 and would travel around and was quite the ladies man amongst many circuits. He remained single into his late 30s when he married a DFd sister who had left her JW husband. He was subsequently DFd and they both remained so together for 2 years until they were reinstated a short time ago. He is in his mid 40s and she is mid 30s.

Last year and this year he partook of the emblems at memorial.

I can't really get a bearing on if he is of the conscious class or just screwing around because he can. They both put in an extraordinary amount of effort to get reinstated. They both have no aversion to communicating with faders, DFd or DAd either. Both have many family members still in, I assume that was the reason they went back.

Numbers indicate there are more and more following the same pattern, get back in and claim annointed.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Get this:

Members of the 'great crowd' AKA elders have disfellowshiped members of the 'anointed' AKA Christ's brothers.

Is that totally WACKO or what????

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

Yes they can be DF'd. Point is, no one gets a free ride into Jehovah's Organization... They must always be on the watch, constantly guarding, they could fall snare to Satan at any moment, one must be prepared for the end... something something illustration of the 10 virgins of Matthew 25, etc. etc. and more etc.

"Annointed" people (who one told me 'just like you know if you're a man or a woman, you just know that Jehovah has chosen you') can fall out of God's good graces, in which case Jehovah doesn't want they ruling in heaven over a bunch of people living a utopia with nothing to do but pet animals and play in the grass.

BTW I read Ray Franz's book "Crisis of Conscience". REALLY good book. Very powerful, and yet moving.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

One just partakes without talking with the elders.

The aniointd in my congregation years ago, received yearly elders sheparding calls. The elders tried to convince them that they were not part of the annointed. Looking for an excuse to disfellowship one. Finally she got disfellowship because she was divorced and remarried apart from fornication or adultery.

It is not a disfellowshipping offence to partake unworthy. And, when you decide that you no longer want to partake you just stop.

JW figure new ones who partake still have their worldly attitude: "all should partake" err.

Kind of funny your wondering when new JWs should partake, What about the newly reinstated members who want to partake. I had one elder state that most reinstated people believe they are part of the annointed class and want to partake. It was their job to convince them they were not.

Thanks for this qoute: one who partakes unworthily eats and drinks his own destruction." That is so messed up! Unworthy meaning? Unworthy of heavenly hope is not bibical. Just a made up JW doctrine. My view point partaking has nothing to do with a heavenly hope, but an eternal hope because one believes in Jesus Christ .

Partaking is one of the doctrines that after I studied what Jesus said I realized the Jehovahs Witnesses were twisting scriptures and making up doctrines. Basiclly lying to people.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yes, but once they have been DF'd they are no longer considered annointed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit