Found this gem in a coffee table book from 1947

by fresh prince of ohio 20 Replies latest jw friends

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Context was a discussion of anti-war groups. The caption for the pic described the JWs as "pathetic" (probably reflecting the victorious postwar mood). Outlaw could probably have some fun incorporating this pic into his comments! :)

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Memories. My grandfather had that Watchtower bag. He died in 1947 but his bags were still around with the family in the 50's.

• Comatose
    Comatose

What a horrible disgrace to god that beard is!

• steve2
    steve2

I find the photo kind of moving. There is something peculiarly admirable and admittedly unhinged about those very dedicated JWs who believed so very much in the truth of what they were doing and that the world even then was on the teetering edge of the end. They make the modern-breed of JWs appear superficial and opportunistic.

The picture reminds me of my maternal JW grandfather - he was a rustic type of man, uneducated, not given to niceties and on the blunt side - but my mother loved him to bits and that's what redeemed him in my eyes. He died decades ago, worn out from a virtual entire adulthood preaching and proclaiming the nearness of the end. Sad.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

He died decades ago, worn out from a virtual entire adulthood preaching and proclaiming the nearness of the end. Sad.

Sad indeed.

• jonno12225
    jonno12225

If you want to good read about the mentality of the original colpurtors Id highly recommend this and also how Charles Russell view it too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charles-Taze-Russell-Millennium-Message/dp/1449951570/ref=sr_1_1/278-2995662-8153124?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373002473&sr=1-1&keywords=charles+taze+russell

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Here's the full page including caption:

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The beard is O.K , and I think the lady next to him has a lot of nerve, wearing that Comedy Nose and Glasses set ! she must have caused some hilarity !

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Phizzy, lmao!

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

What book was this picture in? From the verbiage above the photo I would guess some very conservative publication. The photo certainly looks odd, I wonder if it had been cut and pasted. The lady on the left (without the headcovering) definitely looks out of place at a 1940 JW convention

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit