Secretly celebrate?

by Solace 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Solace
    Solace

While you were a J.W. did you ever secretly celebrate a worldly holiday in a way that did or didnt bother your conscience?
    For example on a different day etc?

My J.W. cousin allows her son to recieve christmas gifts from non J.W. family but only if they are wrapped in plain wrapping paper and not in the traditional Christmas Wrapping paper. This would somehow make the gift less pagan?

I used to walk home from school thinking I was going to be killed by Jehovah because I didnt refuse the Valentine cards my friends had given.

My J.W. grandmother used to send everyone a "Thinking of you" card along with one dollar for each year of their age about one week before their actual birthday. One month before she died she sent me one and actually added, in her own words, "Another year goes by".
    She was so sweet. I am glad she was able to acknowledge birthdays in a way that didnt make her feel guilty since she obviously enjoyed it.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    I used to walk home from school thinking I was going to be killed by Jehovah because I didnt refuse the Valentine cards my friends had given.

Oh my God Heaven you brought back repressed memories for me. I used to secretly take them and stuff them in my bookbag and then throw them out in the garbage on the way walking home from school because I did not want to get in trouble. They made children think they are evil.

How SICK is the WTBTS really?

PERSONAL WEBPAGE-
    http://www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html
    FREELANCE ARTWORK FOR SALE-
    http://www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/JasonArtwork1.html

• simplesally
    simplesally

Nope, followed the "rules"......

But I did celebrate my birthday this year and will celebrate my daughters, and Mothers day and Xmas. Just for the fun of it. I may even say Merry Xmas to someone for the first time in 12 years.

• Solace
    Solace

Reborn,

Awww, Im picturing you having to do that.
    Those huge guilt trips on kids are so cruel.

O.K.

Has anyone ever dared go Trick or Treating on Halloween?

That would be like the most demonized, worldly, pagan thing a J.W. kid could ever do.
    I went for the first time with my daughter. We now do Halloween to the Max every year. We love it. Even the grown ups dress up at my house.

• Solace
    Solace

Simplesally,
    We were always told that when someone wished us a "Merry Christmas" we were to respond, "Thank you" so as not to appear rude.
    I once heard my grandfather slip in a "You Too".
    It all seems so petty doesnt it.

• hybridous
    hybridous

My JW grandma always has, and continues to, send birthday cards with money to my JW brother, JW sister, and me. Nobody has refused one yet. Somehow, grandma has decided for herself that she knows how to best help her grandkids, thanks anyways WTS. We love you, Grandma!!

We also do Thanksgiving dinner, altho I'm not even sure if that's as taboo as it used to be. Hell, turkeys are cheap then.....right?!

• Solace
    Solace

hybridous,
    Thats funny! Does she send actual "Birthday" cards?
    Grandmas do know best!
    Whats ironic is that my grandmother was the one who introduced my entire family to the W.T.S.
    Im sure she had no idea of the implications though.
    No doubt she was probably doing it to try to save her family.

• dobby
    dobby

My mom let us accept Xmas presents from relatives as long as we didn't open them on Xmas.

We just waited until the 26th then tore into them with glee like all kids.

• LB
    LB

Like all loyal JW's I ate turkey, the day after Thanksgiving.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• rhett
    rhett

Ah, this thread gets my blood boiling a bit. My parents, sister, and her family are all JW's. Myself, my wife and son, and my wife's family are not. Each year at Christmas time my family (minus myself, wife, and kid) all get together for a big meal and my nephew gets a bunch of presents (not christmas presents though!!!). Somehow, since we all celebrate Christmas my son gets absolutely no Christmas gifts from them. Each year at Thanksgiving my family (minus myself, wife, and kid) all gets together for a big turkey dinner. Somehow, myself, wife, and kid don't get invited. Each year on my nephew's birthday my family (minus myself, wife, and kid) all get together and my nephew gets a bunch of presents from his grandparents and parents but we are't invited. Somehow, since myself, wife, and kid do celebrate birthdays my son gets absolutely nothing from his grandparents on his birthday.
    You know, its not really that I'm so concerned that my family doesn't spend money on my son because of their cult beliefs. Its that they, even if not by name, do celebrate them for my cult member sister's kid while totally ignoring my son.
    I hate the JW's. I really do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit