My first talk with JWs at the door while on vacation

by troubled mind 19 Replies latest jw friends

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

This was the first time in almost eight years I have had a conversation with a JW . We were on vacation last week at my son and daughter in laws home . One morning the doorbell rang and as I went to answer it my daughter in law said she thought it was Witnesses . My husband said ," Don't answer it !" (He always thinks I am going to go balistic on them , whatever )

So this very nice pair of women are waiting on the steps as I shut the door behind me . The first one states they are JWs and that they were expecting my DIL to answer the door . I told them who I was and that i was visiting . She went on about how they knew my DIL had been raised in a Witness household and how great they thought that was . The sister talking mentioned how she raised her kids in "the truth' and that when they were grown they could decide for themselves to be Witnesses or not ...that was the great thing about their religion ..... WELL I NEARLY CHOCKED RIGHT THERE

However I held my tongue and just said ," Well yeah I guess they may have a choice ....as long as they don't mind the severe consequences they may suffer for that choice " Her partner kind of shook her head in agreement ,but the one speaking kind of let it go over her head ...

Then I began to tell them how I too was raised a JW ,for over 44 yrs I was associated with JWs . I also told them many of the reasons why I no longer am one .

This sister actually said " You can believe whatever you want as a JW especially in your own home ,it is between you and Jehovah " ......I said 'well that certainly is not what the Organization teaches in fact the Org teaches you NEED them in order to even approach Jesus because they are the mediator between you and him . She totally disagreed on that point and I said well maybe you should do some research on what the ORg really teaches on that point .'

.....I told her I no longer believe in God and she wanted to share a scripture ....??? That makes no sense to me, I said 'no thanks '. She was sure Jer. 29 :11 would have some magical effect upon my mind .

Before they left I told them about all the changes in belief I had seen in my lifetime such as blood fractions ,1914 , ect . I asked them how do you feel about it now that the numbers of those partaking has increased and the society now says the FDS is only those on the Governing body ???? The one sister said I was misinformed ,but the other said, "you mean the information coming out in the July Watchtower ? " " Yes ,the new opinion, I said .

I told them I would never return to a manmade organization . For years I felt not good enough and oppressed . Now I am happier than ever before ,Why would I change that ? They suddenly needed to leave for a Bible study .....

It was good to be just nice and friendly ,but get my point across . They were really nice women not haughty or pretenscious ....had they been I am sure the discussion may have gone a whole different way .

wonder if they stop by again what will be said to my Daughter in law .

• nugget
    nugget

Isn't it interesting that witnesses do not know what their current beliefs are. In the main they try to fit everything in but there is no way they can keep up. I think you did really well keeping it cordial certainly when they try to whitewash things and you have lived it you know how deceptive they are being.

• Wonka
    Wonka

Sounds to me like you need to have a talk with your DIL about things..

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there Troubled mind,

Seems to me your in need of a name change for your avatar

Looks as if the trouble has cleared from your mind

Yes, there are some sweet people entrapped in this cult

The sister at the door threw the ol' " Bait the householder bit "

when she said " Witnesses can decide for themselves "

She knew better. And she soon found out that you did too . LOL

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

nugget said:Isn't it interesting that witnesses do not know what their current beliefs are.

I think many of them have stopped thinking. When they get to the meetings many become zombies they're there, they go through the motions and most of what's said does not register.

This I think is especially true for the under 40 witless population.

• Incognito
    Incognito
    Nugget said: Isn't it interesting that witnesses do not know what their current beliefs are.

I often say that JW's don't actually have beliefs.

As JW's must change whatever was held as a belief whenever the WT changes its view on a matter, any "belief" is not truly personal but is dictated by a corporation which demands compliance and loyalty to itself under the quise of loyalty to God.

The only true belief that JW's hold to is that the WT is always right no matter what and JW's must remain loyal to whatever the WT Society demands.

• laverite
    laverite

I am finding the same thing -- that the witnesses currently do not know what their beliefs are. I wonder if this is what the bOrg wants? Does this somehow work in favor of the bOrg?

• clarity
    clarity

Incognito ...

Right On! These words are 'classic'!

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    I am finding the same thing -- that the witnesses currently do not know what their beliefs are. I wonder if this is what the bOrg wants? Does this somehow work in favor of the bOrg?

Sure it works in favor of the borg!

If you don't know what a teaching IS, then you can't possibly THINK about that teaching.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Good job, if you hadn't been so polite, they would have run from the crazed apostate. Now they will likely go and research the mediator issue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit