What exactly was going on after Jesus was put to death and no longer around?

by Terry 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mP
    mP

@Satanus

Its even more interesting to note that the NT itself has troubles wiht jesus the man on earth. For example there is only a single verse in the gospels that identifies jesus from nazareth outside his two birth passages in mt and Lk. At time times he is said to be J the Nazarene which is an ancient monk like sub cult with Judaism. Samson was also a Nazarene. Its also very interesting that Nazareth most likely did not exist at the time of Jesus birth or life. There is not a single entry in the OT that mentions the town. Josephus lived less thana mile away for a time does not mention Nazareth. Queen Helena the mother of Constantine when she visited the holy land could not find N because nobody had heard of it.

IF ytou have problems with Jesus the man, perhaps you migth want to also very Nazareth the place. Nobody has ever found any archeological proof of N dating back to jesus first centruty.

• kepler
    kepler

Terry,

Greetings!

It's been a while since I've made an entry to JWN, but I still read the topics and discussions. And I certainly pay close attention to what you have to say, whether I'm all in agreement or not. Thanks for all that examination and output.

The matter of Eusebius and Papias did pull me out of my corner observer table though. I had come across the two earlier, along with some commentary by Bart Ehrman. And in the above passages we have Eusebius first branded as a liar by a critic in our time ( after all, he passed on reports of miraculous survivals in the circus ring of centuries before) and then he is used as a source for Papias's recollections of the writers of the Gospels.

Eusebius was sceptical of Papias, but evidently he was willing to swallow the story of martyrs being swallowed whole by beasts. Now was the picture of Judas from Papias any more reliable than the reports of Christian martyrs also recorded by Eusebius? All I can say is that he recorded them both.

Are we to presume that anyone that Eusebius finds fault with is intrinsically reliable or that you have to be pretty bad to make the alarm bells go off for someone as naive as Eusebius?

Much of what I read in the Papias wikipedia entry was rather sceptical of Papias's stories. And as to whether Papias was talking about Jewish authors ( Mark and Matthew) writing in Hebrew or writing in Aramaic or writing in a regional dialect of Greek, there was no consensus.

Lately have been reading other classical writers - and I do see some resemblance to others, including Herodotus who began historical narrative writing with as many sidebars.

What must infuriate many critics of Eusebius is that he also had the temerity to say that many of the books in the canon were questioned by a number of contemporaries. He cites arguments against against Revelations, Jude, Peter and others - though he stands neutral on the matter himself.

He also refers to Papias as a bishop.

• Terry
    Terry

What is very telling, in my opinion, about Papias is that he was extremely conscientious and yet he brought back such WILD and IMPROBABLE stories

from the very people who were responsible for spreading the earliest and purest version of "true" Jesus stories.

How many times have those stories been redacted and laundered before they got written down and "purified" by self-appointed experts such as lived in Eusebius' time?

The outrageously naive acceptance of such tales makes me doubt anybody with half a brain would take them seriously.

Is this a snapshot of early christianity at its best or worst? We cannot know!

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

From Bart Ehrman's Blog to which I subscribe:

Believing Papias When It's Convenient In my previous post I stressed that, contrary to what you sometimes may have heard or possibly will hear, Papias is not a *direct* witness to what the apostles of Jesus were saying. That is an important point because of the most important “testimony” that Papias gives, a testimony that is often taken as very strong evidence that the second Gospel of the NT was written by Mark, the companion of Peter, and that the first Gospel was really and truly written by Matthew, the disciple of Jesus. If these claims were right, they would be highly significant. Matthew would have been written by someone who was there to see these things happen; and Mark’s account would be based on arguably the most important witness to Jesus’ life.. Here is what Papias says. Remember, when he indicates what “the elder” says, he is indicating what he has learned from a person who was allegedly “companion” of the elder; the elder was someone who allegedly knew the apostles. “And this is what the elder used to say, ‘When Mark was the interpreter [Or: translator] of Peter, he wrote down accurately everything that he recalled of the Lord’s words and deeds — but not in order. For he neither heard the Lord nor accompanied him; but later, as I indicated, he accompanied Peter, who used to adapt his teachings for the needs at hand, not arranging, as it were, an orderly composition of the Lord’s sayings. And so Mark did nothing wrong by writing some of the matters as he remembered them. For he was intent on just one purpose: to leave out nothing that he heard or to include any falsehood among them.’” This then is what Papias says about Mark. And this is what he says about Matthew: THE REST OF THIS POST IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY. If you don’t belong yet, JOIN, OR YOU WILL NEVER KNOW!!! “And so Matthew composed the sayings in the Hebrew tongue, and each one interpreted [Or: translated] them to the best of his ability.” In addition to my general doubts about the reliability of oral traditions – that will be the subject of my next book – (and recall, these are fourth-hand accounts we’re hearing from Papias), I have two clear reasons for thinking that these comments of Papias are not convincing “proof” about the authorship of either Matthew or Mark. The first is that Papias can be shown not to preserve historically accurate information passed down from the apostles of Jesus. The second is that what Papias actually says about Matthew is not true of our Matthew, making it appear either that he doesn’t have accurate information or that he is referring to some book other than what came to be our Gospel of Matthew. And if he’s not right about Matthew, there’s no reason to think that he’s right about our Mark.I’ll deal with the first reason in this post. The short story, as I have mentioned in shorter order on the blog before, is that Papias is acknowledged by *everyone* — including the evangelical scholars who trust him with respect to Matthew and Mark – to preserve traditions that are *not* historically to be trusted. Papias gives two traditions connected with the Gospel accounts of Jesus. Neither one is considered by anyone I know as being anywhere near being accurate. First is an alleged saying of Jesus: Thus the elders who saw John, the disciple of the Lord, remembered hearing him say how the Lord used to teach about those times, saying: “The days are coming when vines will come forth, each with ten thousand boughs; and on a single bough will be ten thousand branches. And indeed, on a single branch will be ten thousand shoots and on every shoot ten thousand clusters; and in every cluster will be ten thousand grapes, and every grape, when pressed, will yield twenty-five measures of wine. And when any of the saints grabs hold of a cluster, another will cry out, ‘I am better, take me; bless the Lord through me.’ So too a grain of wheat will produce ten thousand heads and every head will have ten thousand grains and every grain will yield ten pounds of pure, exceptionally fine flour. So too the remaining fruits and seeds and vegetation will produce in similar proportions. And all the animals who eat this food drawn from the earth will come to be at peace and harmony with one another, yielding in complete submission to humans.” This is a very interesting claim about what Jesus taught. But no one thinks Jesus taught it. So what does that say about the reliability of Papias’s sources for the words of Jesus and the traditions of his apostles? The second tradition is even more interesting – fascinating even. So, do you wonder how Judas died? Here’s what Papias tells us, based on the “reliable” sources that he had at his disposal: But Judas went about in this world as a great model of impiety. He became so bloated in the flesh that he could not pass through a place that was easily wide enough for a wagon – not even his swollen head could fit. They say that his eyelids swelled to such an extent that he could not see the light at all; and a doctor could not see his eyes even with an optical device, so deeply sunken they were in the surrounding flesh. And his genitals became more disgusting and larger than anyone’s; simply by relieving himself, to his wanton shame, he emitted pus and worms that flowed through his entire body. And they say that after he suffered numerous torments and punishments, he died on his own land, and that land has been, until now, desolate and uninhabited because of the stench. Indeed, even to this day no one can pass by the place without holding their nose. This was how great an outpouring he made from his flesh on the ground.No one thinks this is what happened to Judas. Which means that the two traditions of Papias that can be critically examined are clearly recognized as legendary, not historical. Why then would anyone trust that Papias is reliable about something else he says – e.g., about Matthew and Mark? Papias has been trusted in these sayings, for example by conservative New Testament scholars, because these scholar want to trust him in these sayings, and for no other reason. They want to trust him because he tells them what they want to hear. And when he tells them something they don’t want to hear (in the other traditions he preserves) they choose not to trust him. This is not critical scholarship. It is uncritical scholarship. Or perhaps we should call it what it is, credulous scholarship.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The bible is full of embellished stories by men who had their own reasons and intent to do so , unfortunately people 2000 years later on, still accept these stories as being factual and they themselves have their own inherent purpose and intent .

Humans are a fickle lot .   

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I believe with my research on the matter that early Christians were more Gnostics and believing in Gnostic teachings then any other idea. It wasn't until I believe about the 4th century that the idea of a actual person was the son of god.
  • Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I'm not sure about the idea that there was no Christian standard. Paul wrote the earliest books, and he wrote in 2 Thessalonians 2 that the "mystery of iniquity" was being held back until the one "acting as a restraint" was out of the way. He was referring to the apostleship as the restraint, and as a warning for when they are gone he tells them to stick by the teachings they received "from us" or the apostles (2 thess 2:15). This sentiment is echoed in Peter 1:15, where the writer insists they should stick to the apostles teachings after they are gone. He then goes on to show why by warning about how devious the false teachers would be in chapter 2. 

So being that they directed fairly early for the first century christians to only listen to their teachings and stick to them once they died, this demonstrates a standard - the apostles teaching about Jesus. It was not to be changed or replaced. The things that went beyond these teachings or were questionable were left out of the bible. We have the gospels, likely based on Q material which was a fairly early sayings gospel, we have the record of deeds following christs death, and letters to the congregations they established. It's all information from the apostles. 

Anything written by anyone else is useless (anything related to teachings and doctrine). Per their own testimony (2 Peter 1:15; 2 Thess 2:15). (Also I say this as from the bibles perspective)

• smiddy
    smiddy

Fascinating , how little I knew as a" jehovahs witness bible student" .LOL

smiddy

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Jonathan Drake I currently doubt that Paul wrote the second letter to the church of Thessalonica, because it contradicts the first one, and as the priest Raymond Brown has noticed, the author tried to copy just exactly the same structure of the first letter. 

• Simon
    Simon

What amazes me about the bible story is that on the one hand you have "the messiah" ... the greatest teacher the world has ever seen, the only perfect man since Adam and able to perform miracles and on the other you have the disciples who followed him and listened to him and witnessed all these events (if you believe it).

And yet after he died they all apparently just go back to their jobs and old lives.

The background narratives like this really undermine the story as believable (not that it is anyway).

We're supposed to believe that his closest followers weren't sufficiently convinced to continue his work or even know what to do ... and yet he's supposedly the greatest teacher ever? Doesn't add up does it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit