Mic issues

by msconcerned 19 Replies latest jw friends

• msconcerned
    msconcerned

so on friday all day, the mic guy did a bang up job.....until david splane got to the podium. it looked like he discussed how the mic should be set up for him, then finally when the mic guy was walking away david says " well im glad we got that settled". then today same thing, he got the mic guy to readjust the mic for him again. why is the mic guy doing a good enough job for everyone else but him?

• Blttex
    Blttex

Obviously the mic guy wasn't praying enough

• molybdenum
    molybdenum

I'm sure that there must be a Brother somewhere called " Mike Test"

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

From personal experience, I'll explain what likely happens.

Particularly in a large venue like the DC, the mic brother is instructed to get the microphone as close as possible to the mouth of the brother. However, this becomes uncomfortable for the speaker because the mic may now be in the way when looking down at his notes. I suspect that Splane was doing the amateur's mistake where he walks out to the podium and either stares out at the audience or stares at the mic adjuster as he's doing his job of adjusting the mic.

Personally, as a speaker, I knew that when he was adjusting the mic, I should look down at my notes and keep my chin up at a comfortable angle. This would give the dude his best chance at knowing the best placement for me, neither too high nor too low. I did both circuit and district talks as well as dozens of congregations, and that rule of thumb served me perfectly. However, if I was assigned to adjust the mics for any large program or even for some visits by the CO, I would do anything to get reassigned to a different job because pricks like Splane would go totally batsh!t primadonna on the mic placement.

Accounts like this remind me how inexperienced and egotistical GB2.0 really are. If any of them had any real experience adjusting mics and running an audio console, they would have their acts together and not make fools of themselves like this in front of a large crowd.

• prologos
    prologos

In one congregation of tech wizards, they had the mike remotely controlled up and forward using the retractable antenna mechanism of scropped luxury cars.

controlled even by the speaker himself.

even small humans, that not too long ago dirtied their diapers, can become

self inflated super egos when put in the wrong spot by fate.

sadly, what happens after the mike works

does the real damage.

• happy@last
    happy@last

It needed lowered as he was talking out his a@*

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

hhmm.

Interesting. Glad I read this. Still had hurt feeling from the WT conductor 'tsk'ing at me once in front of everybody. I thought I must have done something wrong and was a complete moron.

He was a weird elder.. single.. and looked like a red-haired version of 'Data' guy on one of those Star Trek remakes. I had always kind of assumed that he was upset because the microphone reminded him of his penis that nobody would satisfy but himself.

So, yeah, thanks for the clarification!

My feelings aren't hurt so much anymore, lol.

• SadElder
    SadElder

Those guys who challenge the mic man are always pompous twits in my mind. The sound crew knows what they need in order to get coverage. Many venues are feedback heavens, so a close working distance may be required.

I know a sound guy that used to turn down the sound on these pompous twits so no one could hear them well. He blamed it on the speaker messing with the equipment.

• TOTH
    TOTH

I think the whiner is just puitting him through the paces just because he can or just to be a pain or to seem like he is superior. In any case, the speaker is an a**hole.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

This is interesting, is the Mic boy the new whipping post of the GB? Another poster mentioned that Gerrit Loesch (GB) in Evansville, Indiana had fussed about the adjustment on his microphone. So now we will probably see other elders (heavies) think this is cute and humiliate the microphone guy. Go figure.

Quote:

"So, unexpectedly, the final talk was announced today and to my surprise and evil glee, they announced Gerrit Loesch as the speaker! First off, at the beginning of his talk, he interrupted himself in the middle of his sentence to scold the microphone brother to lower my mike it's right in my face."

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/255318/1/Gerrit-Loesch-was-at-our-DC-today

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit