Bethel Layoffs: Know anyone (especially long-timers) who were laid off?

by Black Man 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Black Man
    Black Man

And what are they doing now?

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

What is a Bethel lay off?

• Black Man
    Black Man

Bethel has been cutting down their staff for years, because the money has dried up (especially in the Americas). In recent years, many long timers (10, 15, 20+ year Bethelites), have been "re-assigned" to the "field," (which is code for lay-off). Many of the long-timers went to Bethel straight out of high school and never acquired skilled trades, career, etc and were sent back home, often times having to start all over again (in the workplace).

Sad, sad scenario for many. Some of landed on their feet, others not so well.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

2 of my nephews left as they saw the layoff coming. They both left before being asked to leave. One started college, graduated, and now has his dream job. He has left JWs but wont talk much about Bethel. The second was invited back to Bethel, was invited to leave this second time because of dfing. (thrown out suddenly). Tried to be reinstated, but hasn't been successful may try one more time. He has now started to school and planning to go on with life.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Well black man . I was disfellowshipped in 1985 for asking questions I just could'nt keep bottled up inside no more. I have spent the years since rebuilding my life it was hard enough for me but I was young. But I can't even imagine what it must be like for a layed off Bethelite! Its been so many years for me without talking to my former familly and freinds, I was born in to this cult, and have been out for soooo long thats why I did'nt know what a "lay off" was. I am glad to hear though, that funds are drying up for them here in North America but there is such a large third world out there just waiting for them to exploit.

It's funny your name is Black Man one of the elders who disfellowshipped me last name was Blackman and he was a black man.

• zeb
    zeb

To 'lay-off' someone after years of service knowing they have sod all chance 'outside' sounds to me like a case of 'breach of duty of care'.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I know of a single brother who went to Bethel (New York City) in 1968?/at eighteen years of age; he eventually served alongside the GB for years. He was a trusted person, bethel elder, giving talks in the French speaking congregations and assemblies. He was feeble or ill regularly, but he had been in Bethel for years and wanted to get married. About five years ago perhaps more, when in his mid to late fifty's he was asked to leave. I have spoken to him and he is trying tax preparation services, bookkeeping etc, and he named off about 15 different states that he had accounts with individuals. He mentioned that he just couldn't make any enough money to make ends meet. He is still single, his mother died and he is living in her old house. It is a pitiful situation, he has given so much to the WTBTS.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

One that I knew committed suicide.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I really didn't keep in touch. I left shortly before the big layoffs began. The last I heard was rather depressing. The only one I knew personally was because he moved to a neighboring congregation. He was stuck in a crappy, low-paying job. It helped by parents understand the value of me returning to college.

I've considered paying a visit to my old department sometime after I've graduated to see what's left.

• Londo111
    Londo111

When this happened, this almost woke me up. I wondered, if the King Jesus is using the Watchtower to spearhead the preaching work, and Bethel is a foregleam of paradise, why is there layoffs?

Of course, this is precisely what cults do when they feel burdened by those who work on their compound.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit