I thought baptism was a dedication to God

by irondork 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• irondork
    irondork

According to this description, unless the elders determine that you REALLY want to be a member of the Watchtower corporation, then you are not worthy of dedicating your life to God.

w98 3/13 Dedication and Freedom of Choice p.17 par.18

Before a person can qualify to become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, he must meet Scriptural qualifications. Elders exercise care in determining if a potential Witness truly understands the implications of Christian dedication. Does he really want to be one of Jehovah’s Witnesses? Is he willing to live up to what this entails? If not, he is ineligible for baptism.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Yes I remember thinking at the time of Baptism was I dedicating my life to the men at Brooklyn? the thought kind of lay there uneasily in the back of my mind. It just didn't feel right somehow but a lot of things never felt quite right I just couldn't figure out what was wrong until much later.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

There you have it in one paragraph!

It is up to elders not Jehovah.

I thought Jehovah draws his people.

Good thing I was re baptized.

• blondie
    blondie

Peter despite visions from God regarding gentile baptism, did not do so in the case of Cornelius until holy spirit gave him the ability to speak in tongues...telling Peter that he was not listening to God. (WTS belief)

No mention in the bible that any human decided if a person could be baptized.

• wokeup
    wokeup

There are no scriptures in the NT that state 'dedication' is a pre-requisite for Christian baptism.

Nor 'living up' to that 'dedication' is God's plan of salvation;

Sounds good, feels good but deflects from what Christ did for humankind.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

Hey, they let me get baptized at 10. The only thing I was dedicated to was homework.

And even that was half ass. LOL.

• zeb
    zeb

but we are "Not members but are doing our personal ministry" legal case in State of Victoria Australia

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

They always said, dedication is before baptism in private prayer, the water baptism is the public decleration of your dedication.

They dont explain by what and who's authority they add themselves to that dedication, so that it is now a dedication to god and the watchtower corporation. It really is that vile. The second you disagree with watchtower, they dismiss you and your dedication to god, even if based on a teaching later to be proven incorrect or with constant changes.

baptism, dedication and disfellowshiping in the JW's explains away more about their motives than anything else.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Bit of double talk, there. Anyone who wants to really be baptised to god, they can do it themselves. Dunk themselves under the water and use whatever ceremonies, clensing, praying that they want. If its just you and god, you don't need no man. 'Course, most people think jesus should be involved, also. So, there can be just you, god and your favorite jesus, as you do the dunking. Why not, if youre really a believer?

S

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Sarahsmile, pm for you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit