Was Alias written by former JWs?

by Londo111 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• Londo111
    Londo111

Spoiler alert!

I finally got through all five seasons on Netflix. This series really floundered toward the end…Sometimes the plot devices made characters like Sloan do some wacky things…he’s evil, he’s good, he’s evil, he’s good. It didn’t make much sense. And the show ended with many unanswered questions especially about Rimbaldi, but that was neither here nor there.

There are obvious parallels and themes to cults and mind control. SD-6 is an evil and illegitimate organization that pretends to be the “good guys”. The agents who work for SD-6 believe they are working for the CIA and thus have the best of intentions. The protagonist Sydney is recruited at a vulnerable time of her life. When she learns the truth about SD-6, she must keep with the organization. Her fellow agents just can’t be told the truth. Obviously, they wouldn’t believe her. When her fellow agent Dixon finally learns the truth about SD-6, he is angry and resentful toward Sydney. Eventually, learning the truth about SD-6 costs him his wife.

SD-6 is lead by the Alliance … sort of a governing body, you could say. In the end, what really drives the main antagonist Sloan is his blind devotion to Rimbaldi and his quest for eternal life, which comes even at the sacrifice of family.

Often, the phrase “Crisis of Conscience” will pass from the lips of several characters throughout the series. Of course, Crisis of Conscience is a common expression, but sometimes its use made me wonder. Was that particular writer attempting to plug the book by Ray Franz?

I’m sure SD-7 will be commenting on this topic.

• Terry
    Terry

ALIAS was the brain child of J.J.Abrams. No, he is Jewish and not an ex-JW.

The preoccupation with the Da Vinci Code as a runaway bestseller tainted this series and ruined it.

Also, Jennifer Garner married and got pregnant and was none too keen on the physical combat aspect of the role.

It was wound down rather ham-handedly, alas!

I think the show was wonderful until the Quentin Tarentino reboot of the entire show's premise.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Most TV shows are writing collaborations…so I’m sure it had many cooks, not just JJ Abrams. If one writer on the team was a former JW, it would make sense.

It is funny that the first episode is called Truth Be Told…and now there is a movie about JWs coming out with that same name.

I rather liked the Rambaldi plot…it was sometimes the only thing keeping me watching the series. That’s because I thought the Rambaldi mystery would be resolved. In the end, it was more a shrug of the shoulders.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

First 3 seasons of Alias = GREAT

4th season of Alias = OKAY

5th season of Alias = SUCKED

It suffered from the X-Files problem, and the Lost problem too...just sort of disintegrated and got more and more silly IMO.

Have you seen Nikita with Maggie Q? That's been a fun show, reminds me of Alias, which of course has some common thread with La Femme Nikita.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I never saw it. I liked the sci-fi aspect of Alias...had it been just another spy show, I'm not sure if I would've watched it.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The fighting scenes were very unrealistic. It reminded me of some JW's I know. They were so sheltered growing up, that they actually thought you could pull off intricate moves like depicted in ALIAS. I can see why you may have though a dub wrote it. Perhaps a dub was a stunt choreographer? Perhaps years of work in the drama department was just what J.J. Abrams was looking for.....

• Dazeds Better Half
    Dazeds Better Half

Its when I first fell in love with Bradley Cooper :) thank you alias, thank you...

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Its when I first fell in love with Bradley Cooper :) thank you alias, thank you...

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Jennifer Garner... Thank you Alias...Thank you...

• VIII
    VIII

Interesting. I watched every episode and often thought that the similarities between the WT and the Alliance were weird. It was too bad the way the show ended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit