Are individual Governing Body members humble?

by Londo111 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

When reading the Watchtower publications, that seems hard to believe…especially now that the Governing Body has declared itself and itself alone the Faithful and Discreet Slave (something that neither the Apostles nor Russell were), directly appointed in 1919 by Christ, the unique Channel of God upon who our salvation depends. And such statements do not even scratch the surface of the arrogant and grandiose proclamations that are promulgated from the top down.

However, a few people who have met Governing Body members have said how kind and humble they were. If you’ve met them, was that your experience? If so, how do you square that away with the delusions of grandeur in the Watchtower publications and from the Platform?

I know that Ray Franz did mention that on an individual basis, members of the Governing Body could be very friendly and personable, but they were captives to a concept. The Organization would take them over. That could describe the majority of JWs. Friendly…until Mother is threatened.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Anyone can have a degree of humility. The GB are insulated. They could never defend the " truth " in public. That's why they don't try. They run from the camera like snakes scattering from the light. I remember Jaracz getting aske a question by a news reporter. He acted all annoyed and seemed to have contempt for the news person. He said, " We do not go beyond what is written!"

If you want to know if they are humble, just ask them to explain all the " two-witness " rule, and ask if THEY would report child abust to the authorities personally. Then ask why they would not comply with the Working With Children Act in Australia? If they were really humble they would be coming clean and begging for the brothers and sisters to forgive them.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

I got to spend time talking to Sydlik / Barber / Barr and Jaracz. I dumped the garbage in their offices for 6 and a half months.

Sydlik was literally like a frat boy type. He was crude. Always had a joke to tell around the younger brothers. Compared young male basketball players to gazelles. He use to paint (which he was awful at and would admit it) and would wear a french beret and wear a nasty white tshirt that showed his enormous belly. He was fun around young guys. But when he got to tables full of guests he would try to seem like he was very very intelligent but also very caring for the brothers.

Barber was like a grandpa (he had a serious liking for young women on tours. Like seriously would ignore the older sisters and would pose for hugs with the younger sisters and always have his hands juuuust under their side boobs. He was an awful speaker and never seemed to try hard. I never really saw any arrogance in the guy.

Barr was similar to Barber. We refer to him as a skinny koala bear. He seemed humble around the tours but he seemed to be pretty full of himself when dealing with everyone else.

Jaracz was a douchbag. Him and that yellow skin that looked like day old chicken left in the sun... He had this aire about him that just oozed arrogance. I hated seeing his face. Ever time I saw him i wanted to just push him down a flight of stairs.

All this to say that the ones I got to speak to fairly regular or see them in action appeared at times to be normal people, but when they had to be their GB selves they would display differing levels of arrogance depending on who was around. After all if THEY ARE CHRISTS BROTHERS THEY MUST BE SOMETHING SPECIAL

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

I met most of the last wave of GB when I was there...and also knew current member Guy Pierce, he taught my pioneer school back when he was a CO.

I saw several of them behave arrogantly when I was there in the late 80s early 90s, like Schroeder, Klein, Jaracz, and Henschel.Klein chewed me out once and was shaking and clenching his teeth really over the top weird. Schroeder and Henschel got bent out of shape bc a waiter broke up the table they were sitting at before noon meal (not enough people at it, it was a rule), and Schroder chewed that guy out and you could see the anger and outrage on his face that they dared to make him dispurse to another table. Jaracz had arrogance written all over his face it was obvious.

Barr, Sydlik, Swingle, Gangas seemed really nice. Barber was c r a z y but very funny.

• sir82
    sir82

I've had limited experience with the current crop of "glorious ones".

Jackson seems to be the most down to earth - he might qualify as "humble" - well, as humble as anyone who has a hand in repeatedly printing a message that he is one of 8 people in all the earth that God personally "speaks" to.

Lett, Morris, Losch, and Splane all seem to be utterly full of themselves - as "humble" as Mussolini.

Don't know much of anything about Pierce, Token-Herd, or the new guy Sanderson.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

You realize that Swingle seemed humble because the dude was senile as well.

He had no idea what he was doing or where he was going half the time. LOL

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Humble men with a lot to be humble about.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Humble?

Guys who autographed Bibles when visiting foreign countries?

• Simon
    Simon

It's possible that they are all decent and well-meaning ... but my experience is that the higher people get within the org, the more they are exposed to the reality of things and can only progress further if they are willing to 'buy in' and drink the cool aid.

They don't treat people with honesty and compassion ... hardly the traits of humble people. If they were humble they wouldn't claim to be divinely inspired and speaking for god. Heck, it's hard to imagine anything less humble than that !

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Soso, I don't want to rain on your parade, but koalas aren't bears. They're marsupials.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit