Gays Win!

by free2beme 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Shador
    Shador
    Explain to me how ... blacks have had it worse than gays?

First, let me state that I support gay rights and am delighted with this news.

That said, I cannot believe anyone would honestly ask this question.

Homosexuals were never systematically, as a group, taken from their homes and sold into slavery, to be whipped and brutally punished if they failed to pick enough cotton for the day.

I've never seen public facilities like schools, libraries, waterfountains, etc., divided into "Gay only" and "straight only".

African-Americans had it a lot harder. Their struggles for rights paved the way for other struggles, including gay rights.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Shador:

That happened to blacks in America before the Civil War and there was segregation back in the 60s; however today blacks are a protected class as far as employment goes. The same does not always hold true even today with gays. Today you can still be fired for being gay. Gays were exterminated in Nazi Germany and in Africa today blacks are killing gays. I dont believe the black civil rights movement really paved much for gay rights since the black community is just as judgemental toward gays as the rest of society is. I also don't see very many blacks throwing their young black kids out on the street for being born they way they are like gays experience either.

LRG

• Shador
    Shador

LRG:

Perhaps that is true of the situation today, then. However your original question did not specify a time frame.

Also, the way African-American communities today view homosexuals has nothing to do with the landmark court cases that were won in the name of equality during the civil rights movement.

- Shador

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

I am barely going to touch on this argument because I'm in a good mood today.

From a gay (and mexican) here is this:

Many things that are race-related/gender related are regulated by the law. But sociologically, there may be a long way to go... Paula Deen is proving that with the charges against her. Also, women still do not get equal pay for equal work, but legally they are still protected. We homos are kind of the last on the block to get invited to the party. And we didn't even WANT to come to the party until in 1969 when we were drug out into the streets and beaten by police because at the time it was illegal to have two men dance together. A law created especially for us.

Unlike many other minorities, we do not have the long history of evolution to equality. In other cultures we do, but not in the States. We are young, we have a lot of growing to do. But also unlike other minorites, we have laws specifically placed against us as a group, laws that have no other point in society but to work against who we are as human beings. And that's the difference. Things like DOMA is a completely unnecessary act... specifically written to stop the gay marriage conversation. The law I menioned above, the sodomy law from 10 ears ago, etc. etc. etc.

We can't stand on the same shoulders as women's sufferage or the underground railroad. We aren't looking to even have a comparison.

We just want to stop having laws made that make who we are illegal. And that is how we are different than other minority groups.

• krejames
    krejames

Well said Backseat Devil!

And by the way I'm still laughing at your first post on this thread.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

ALTHOUGH... let me add... today's ruling on Voter Rights has brought the race issue back to the spotlight. Here is Texas I know the "picture ID" law is already in effect. That is a comparable example of a law being against a minority group, although indirectly.

• sir82
    sir82

Well there you go - another sign of the "last days"!

How does it go? "In the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves..."

• Glander
    Glander

The gay marriage ruling has not pushed my buttons. I really don't see the big deal. If states are going to recognize gay marriage then it seems to follow that property and tax, etc. laws that apply to hetero married people would be the point of the whole thing. Even child custody can come into play when there is an adoption.

Be careful what you wish for. I have said before that when a state recognizes gay marriage there are probably a lot of partners in gay relationships that are put on the spot.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Glander:

I'm sure Edith Windsor was very careful in what she wished for, the $363,053.00 that she got to keep that she inherited from her lifelong partner that most straight people thought she should not have since she was not in a "traditional marriage".

LRG

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

Littlerockguy im in not way saying that they should not have rights. As a matter of fact good for them. As I said this is probably not the post for it and im not trying to rain on the parade. However there is no need for me to "explain" to you anything as the facts/history are obvious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit