Elder writes a weekly newspaper article

by man in black 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• BobFlanagan007
    BobFlanagan007

Man In Black's post is possibly the funniest thing I've read on this forum for a while.

My god that Elder sounds like a complete (hypocritical) dick, which paper is this from? I'd genuinely like to read more of his musings.

• AnneB
    AnneB

Methinks the writer wants to prove that he could write a weekly column. (I'd read it!)

• VOLO2
    VOLO2

He may be a hypocrite (lots of elders are) but he's not a bad writer. Maybe a little recognition for his talents would make him less dependent on acclaim from men. Or the same sort of "worldly" recognition could wake him up when he sees how petty and critical some of the "friends" can be when they notice somebody rising (even just a little) above the level of anonymous sheep. Hypocrite or not in the past, he has the same chance any of us have (or had) for escape. I hope he makes it.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I like to take walks, also. What is wrong with giving a friendly greeting to a fellow human being?

I always say hello, and some greet me back, and some don't.

I was in a model home not too long ago, because I like to get decorating ideas. The realtor (or maybe just an employee that sits with the house) that was there was middle aged (like me) and was dressed in a top that matched her nice blue eyes. I made the comment to her that she looked very put together today. She smiled and said that I had made her day and that I couldn't know how much the nice comment meant to her. It certainly made me feel good to know that I'd been there when she needed a kind word.

Maybe you could carry your sociological experiment even further. Do you have any other hats? How about no hat one day? Continue keeping your log and see if any interesting patterns emerge!

• steve2
    steve2

Man in Black, I had one or two Huh? moments as I read your OP, so could you help me? Did you include the actual article the elder wrote? Your whole OP reads like it is yours but I wondered if you also cut and pasted the article written by the elder? If not, where's the link to the article? Many thanks for any answers you can give.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think everything following "hypocrisy" is the actual article quoted in full.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Perhaps the elder would have had different results had he worn more than just a cubs or john Deere hat!!

He's lucky he wasn't arrested for indecent exposure!!

• steve2
    steve2
    I think everything following "hypocrisy" is the actual article quoted in full.

Oh. Thanks. Interesting that the article was "researching" factors which increased likelihood of being greeted by strangers. Perhaps a letter writer could ask him if he could do "research" on ways to increase the likelihood of avoiding greeting people he knows. Hmmmmmmm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit