Elder writes a weekly newspaper article

by man in black 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• man in black
    man in black

Hello, Lately in our local newspaper I've noticed a weekly column that is written by a current elder. When I left 6 years ago he was the po. And for some added background info , if he saw someone who was df'ed or "spiritually weak" he would go out of his way, and do his best to avoid them. In Borders one time I remember him seeing a person who was in trouble with the elders, and watched as he literally crawled over customers to get away and make his way to the other side of the bookstore. Now that the stage is set, enjoy the hypocrisy !

I like to take walks. In fact, every day I try to take a brisk 2-mile stroll. I weave my way through neighborhoods and shopping districts, my head bobbing with the pace, my arms churning with the rhythm, my legs aching with the distance. I end up more exhausted than invigorated, but my doctor tells me that walking is good for my health, so I’m going to do it even if it kills me. But, honestly, I do enjoy walking. I feel more in touch with nature on my daily jaunts: the sound of the congested traffic , the smell of freshly made doughnuts wafting from Country Donuts, the sight of the garbage cans lined up like soldiers along the streets on pickup day. Yep, nature stuff like that. But I have noticed something a bit disconcerting during these daily outings. Whenever I meet someone coming the other way on the sidewalk, I usually look for an opportunity to greet them or at least share a smile. But over the years I’ve noticed that this is becoming harder and harder to do. That’s because fewer and fewer people are willing to make eye contact with me. My wife says that’s because I walk kind of funny and wear a Cubs hat. Well, I tried to change my walking form and stopped flailing my elbows. I also started wearing my John Deere hat, because nothing walks like a Deere. But still the people ignored me. Some would quickly pull out their cellphone and stare at it as we approached. Others suddenly would look at their watch. Then there are the ones who just looked straight ahead and walked by me as if I was a see-through non-elbow-flailing farm implement advocate.

I was starting to think it was really me, but then I read an article, “Keep Your Eyes to Yourself.” It talked about the possibility of a universal trend of greeting strangers with indifference as we pass them by. I wondered whether that trend was happening here in our localities. The only way to find out was to conduct my own field study. So I grabbed my clipboard, my Cubs and John Deere hats, and I hit the sidewalks to conduct my research. I felt like Woodward and Bernstein in “All the President’s Men,” searching for informants to topple a presidency, except that instead of seeking some juicy disclosures, I was on the lookout for some ocular connections. I simply walked down the sidewalk, and when people passed me by, I tried to make eye contact with them. If we did, I’d smile or say hello. I walked normally, keeping my elbows close to my body. I wore my Cubs hat for a while and then switched to the John Deere one. I bet you can’t wait to see the results.

Well, here they are:

• Cubs Hat People who made eye contact: 1
    • People who avoided eye contact: 9
    • John Deere Hat People who made eye contact: 2
    • People who avoided eye contact: 8

So there you are. It would seem that, according to my research, if you want the best chance to make eye contact with a stranger, you should wear a John Deere hat and walk around the block. Take that, Woodward and Bernstein. A further revelation from the results of this investigation is the clear implication that the Cubs have a negative impact upon constructive human interaction, and that if they wore green-and-yellow uniforms and changed their name to “The Chicago Tractors,” then twice as many people would watch them. I would suggest you conduct your own field study. Perhaps if everyone reading this tried to make eye contact with even one stranger, we could begin to reverse this trend of social indifference and detachment.

So let’s get out there and make this world a friendlier place! Just watch the flailing elbows, please.

• sir82
    sir82

WTF?

Maybe a tad less caffeine before sitting down to type?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    man in black - "...my doctor tells me that walking is good for my health, so I’m going to do it even if it kills me."

Thank God that last bit is just an expression, otherwise it'd be a really weird thing to say.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

USE.

PARAGRAPHS!

:)

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Perhaps the people on the street saw the two large angels who follow the elder everywhere he goes.

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

wtf did i just read

• Big Mama
    Big Mama

Have you thought about not wearing any hat? You may be prompting prejudicial re-actions. Maybe folks like different teams, or prefer Honda........then again maybe a head of hair would put off bald people, or vice versa. Perhaps walk naked. That should draw a reaction.

There you go: walk naked with only a hat on.....but judiciously placed over your less-than-spectacular balled spot.....

• cult classic
    cult classic

"Now that the stage is set, enjoy the hypocrisy !"

LOL. Hypocrisy indeed.

JWs have such a hard time recognizing who they really are as people.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Black,

So let’s get out there and make this world a friendlier place! Just watch the flailing elbows, please.

I don't like it when I'm walking and people I don't know come up to me and start intruding their presents in my face face and try to start conversations especially if I'm on the cell phone talking to somebody, can't they see I'm busy and would not be interested in them taking up my time.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hey? whats with this giving Man in Black stick? his post was readable enough to me - his research was just like "field studies" we did when I took a course in psychology.. I did not see the connect between paras 1 and 2, though.....

However, do we greet people? I walk every morning and there are certain regulars on the same streets and we exchange a nod , or "good morning" and one man always comments on the weather (after all, this is England ) Mainly though people, including me, pass unoticing ....I guess it is sad . Some, always female, are so busy texting that they almost crash into you, that is a hazard of the 21st century as are the grannies in souped-up mobility scooters who love burning rubber and leaving you in the dust. What power!

So why don't we smile at everyone? Did past generations do that? I don't know. Perhaps it is a rose-tinted enhanced "memory" of how we would like things to be?????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit