Do JW's even read the Watchtower?

by zound 26 Replies latest jw friends

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

I can even tell you when I gave up reading the mags.

A few months after coming out of Bethel and I read this:

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102000486?q=cows&p=par

I was in bed reading it and I actually said out loud "What the f8ck!". Such an obvious piece of space filler. A complete and udder waste of time.

It won’t be long, however, before it is time for another vacation in the mountains! What a life!

I then got a life and never bothered to read them regularly again.

• infernosdante
    infernosdante

wizz didnt i read that article in highlights(the childrens magizine) lol glad i missed that one

• prologos
    prologos

I found that particularly Elders do not really read right away and UNDERSTAND what is "offered"in the publications.

If they did, they would be here.

Looking at the latest WT product, I suggest anyone that is offered these papers to say:

"Thank you, but I read the

New York Times,

New Scientist

The Economist,

fill in your favored : National Enquirer --

DO you? dear Jw? thank you for calling.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I probably read them more now than when I was in! (Study edition only, I can't stomach the public WT and A!)

• bigmac
    bigmac

i can recall saying to a visiting CO--back in the late 1960's----that i didnt read all the mags---even he said it was OK just to skim through the study article.

off topic--i read on here a while back that same CO is still alive--and living at the Mill Hill UK headquarters.---45+ years later----what a wasted life.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It doesn't take much to read the public mags these days, there is nothing in them A quick scan and it is done.

• sd-7
    sd-7

A surprising number of JWs don't read the Watchtower. To me this is baffling, because if you have the truth, how can you not bother to read it? If this is so life-saving and vital to share with others, why aren't you reading it yourself?

It shows, at least for me, when I was on my way out of the JWs and brought up things that were repeatedly mentioned in literature. Like in the Revelation book, the anointed being referred to as "the John class". My mom, who was an adult at the time we first studied this and was presumably in attendance for the other times the book was studied, seemed to have no idea what I was talking about. You know how many times the term "John class" was used in that book?? You would have to have not read it at all to miss it.

Even in my own experience, personally, after we studied it at the meeting, it was pretty much erased from memory. For the most part, I usually didn't want to go back and reread those articles after we studied them (though I did save a handful of them that were 'encouraging' in my fight against my sexual desires. I still lost, though...).

It makes you wonder how much they really know about this religion at all, from its teachings to its history to its leadership. If you're not reading the literature, it would have to be a very basic knowledge at best, unless you're just mostly reading the Bible by itself (tsk! tsk! sss! You're not going native on us, are you? Independent Bible reading? We better watch you. Your talk just got reassigned until we're sure your doubts are gone...).

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit