Former COs that Become Inactive

by Bob_NC 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

Some long years ago a Circuit Overseer told me that the area he was from had several former COs that had "left the road" as they call it and were just sitting on their laurels. He said that they don't pioneer and some were irregular publishers. A different CO made a remark to the effect of "You think that servants or pioneers live a restricted life, COs are under the supervision of the Service Dept. and we are told exactly what we are to do and when to do it." He said this with reference to being told that COs WILL go in field service on Sundays.

Does anyonoe know of former COs that are irregular or inactive publishers? I am wondering if the Circuit work opens the eyes to some of these men in the same way that Bethel life opens the eyes of some Bethelites. Anyone?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

No! I don't know any, cos I am about as far away from Yahweh's spiritual paradise as I can get. (excepting this site- grin)

But, back in the day, there was a father/son combo that had both been on the circuit, and both got disfellowshipped. Can't even place the approximate time, but they cam, if I remember rightly, from Perth and were serving on the east coast. Thnk the name may have been Brusaschi, maybe the father's name was Peter. And, the problem may have been fraud.

Any other Aussies remember them?

• blondie
  • Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Peter Brusaski? Yeah I've heard of him, he's a well known Jw. Lives in northern NSW.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I've seen him give talks as I live near the Qld /NSW border.

• karter
    karter

Joe Seighman from downunder.

Karter.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Where was he?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

wonder whatever happened to Peter Barnes? is he still alive, when I was a kid I remember a CO by the name of Dennis Ashby who was a very good friend of my father he served as a CO in the late 60's early 70's he later came off as he started a family or adpopted a boy, he served in a local congregation as an elder up until the late 80's and he came to our cong as a visiting speaker and gave the infamous "Terry Waite" talk in which he urged us to pray for the CoE envoy Terry Waite who was kidnapped in Lebonan, there was such an uproar about this comment that he was immidiatly banned form ever visting our cong agian, but the rumour mil was that he had faded and become inactive.

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

I remember Joe Sleighman... I think his wife's name was Jean... Is he inactive now?

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Joe Sleighman was a DO in Western Australia (WA), or maybe had just left WA (in Australia, not Washington state), when he departed the JWs. I understood him to have just stopped attending and to have 'gone apostate', but never got the full details. I really liked Joe. That was mid 1990s.

As I remember it, he was the first of three consecutive overseers to go from the same circut (Joe being the DO for that circut) in Perth, WA. I won't introduce anyone else's full name, but Alan H and Phil T were the COs who were subsequently DFd. I never knew what happened to Alan, but he and his wife seemed good company. They had a flash car (a gold Holden Calais I think it was) and he and his brother, so the story went, had made some money in business before both went onto the circut. I remember having lunch with Joe and Alan and their wives about that time. None of them wanted to talk JW stuff, and Joe spent most of his lunch reading The Australian (the local serious broardsheet. I reckoned that was cool).

The next one was Phil T from Queensland. He was a great guy, and looked just like Dr Phil. He had some marital issues and ended up DF as a result, but so far as I know he remained loyal.

The next CO they sent in was a corporate arsehole who made Ghengis Khan look soft and indulgent. They also had Carl O, ex-bethel, as a substitute inbetween times. He was never fun. Before them there was an old guy who just kept saying things like 'and where were you in 1952?'. He was a bit dottty, I think.

I spent a horrid overnight at bethel about the same time. It was truly awful. It set me as much on the path to apostacy as anything else. Dozens of married couples on construction sharing this space about the size of two basketball courts with sheets draped over a frame between them for 'privacy'. People wandering about like zombies who had been alive before they went. Spooky magazine art paintings on the walls. Mission brown everything. Bizzare breakfast chatter and frightening 'morning worship'. All the usual stuff in God's house.

The bright spot was a dude in a room by himself with a computer on the internet (it was new at the time) near the printing room. He had this great clip off CNN he just kept watching over and over. He may have been on the way to madness, or apostacy, but he seemed a bright light in a crazy place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit