More bad chronology from the Watch Tower Society

by Jeffro 78 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

AnnOMaly:

I'm sure you saw this comment in the article:
    The chronology given above, based on Josephus, however is not undisputed, with some alternatively placing Jaddua during the time of Darius II and some supposing one more Johanan and one more Jaddua in the following time, the latter Jaddua being contemporary of Alexander the Great.

That note (from the Wikipedia article) was originally added in October 2006, by an editor there called Summer Song (see here), a JW from Norway (see here and here). It is therefore unsurprising that the note accords with the WTS view on the matter.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

AnnOMaly:

There are expositors who also think the Darius referred to at Neh. 12:22 is Darius II (Nothus). I wouldn't solely lay this identification at the WTS's door nor be hasty to say they are mistaken this time.

See http://biblecommenter.com/nehemiah/12-22.htm

Of the seven commentaries I've considered, the majority support Darius III (shown below in bold). Only two say it must be Darius II (shown in italics, of which only one actually connects Jaddua with Darius), with an additional one saying it could be either Darius II (according to James Ussher) or III. Since JW biblical chronology is loosely based on Ussher's chronology, it's also unsurprising that they'd prefer his conclusion.

Barnes':

Probably Darius Codomannus (336-331 B.C.), the antagonist of Alexander the Great.

Clarke's:

Calmet maintains that this must have been Darius Codomanus, who was defeated by Alexander the Great: but Archbishop Usher understands it of Darius Nothus, in whose reign he thinks Jaddua was born, who was high priest under Darius Codomanus.

Gill's:

thought to be Darius Codomannus, the last king of the Persian monarchy, whom Alexander conquered;

Keil & Delitzsch (but adds that the information is "aphoristic"):

Darius is Darius Nothus, the second Persian monarch of that name; … The statements in Nehemiah 12:22 and Nehemiah 12:23 are aphoristic, and of the nature of supplementary and occasional remarks.

Matthew Henry's:

The succession of high priests during the Persian monarchy, from Jeshua (or Jesus), who was high priest at the time of the restoration, to Jaddua (or Jaddus), who was high priest when Alexander the Great, after the conquest of Tyre, came to Jerusalem, and paid great respect to this Jaddus

Pulpit Commentary:

The "Darius" intended is beyond all doubt Codomannus, the adversary of Alexander the Great, who was contemporary with Jaddua.

Wesley's:

Darius Noehus; and so this Jaddua might be father to him who was in the days of Darius Codomanus, and of Alexander the Great.
  • AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

A lot of the years probably are opinion. But they're not my opinion. I did get the years from a Wikipedia article, which I freely admit was not clear about its sources. But I don't have any reason to believe the years were simply pulled out of a hat either. The most likely source for the years is Sedar Olam Zutta .

Thanks. That's what I've been after. If the source wasn't Josephus, it must have been from elsewhere. I'll look into this.

(No time for your other posts yet. BBL.)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

AnnOMaly:

We do know his grandson Johanan was old enough to have responsibilities in the temple (with his own chamber!) by the 7th year of Artaxerxes.

The person who Josephus calls Johanan (when he quotes Ezra 10:6), but who Ezra calls Jehohanan, probably isn't the same person as the person who Josephus calls John. Therefore, J[eh]ohanan may actually have been a son (as stated by Ezra) of Eliashib (therefore, a brother of Joiada and uncle of Joh[ana]n) rather than Eliashib's grandson (as assumed). Therefore the Johanan at Nehemiah 12:23 (from the original time of writing) would indeed be the son of Eliashib, as distinct from the grandson of Eliashib in the list of high priests at Nehemiah 12:22 (which is most likely a later interpolation during the reign of Darius III) who is also called Jonathan at Nehemiah 12:11. This would also relax the alternative requirement of the late age of Joh[ana]n/Jonathan fathering Jaddua. Because J[eh]ohanan (as a brother of Joiada) was never actually a high priest, this wouldn't alter the chart I've already provided, but would allow for that J[eh]ohanan to be the child whose room Ezra went to after dismissing the foreign wives, allowing for a later birth of Joh[ana]n/Jonathan (father of Jaddua).

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Nope, the priestly years are not from Seder Olam Zuta. Its chronology for kings is hopelessly wacked out anyway. Useless. So I'm back to the "pulled out of a hat" opinion for your chart. It may be consistent with the fragments of information available, but it remains conjecture.

The following may be out of sequence as far as your posts go. I want to keep the subjects together.

So, do you personally go with the Darius II verson? You really don't think it's plausible that Josephus simply made a parallax error when lining up events with a list of Persian names?

I think it is a viable possibility that Darius II was meant. There seem to be good arguments for both sides. Josephus (or the sources he uses) simply gets things wrong sometimes.

Thanks for all the research you've put into this matter.

It's unchartered territory for me and you're making me work

It's more likely that there was just two people named Sanballat during the period of more than a century, as indicated in my second green-highlighted post.

Hmm. Then there would have to be two 'Bagoases' as well. There's no mention of the feisty military general from Art. III's time being involved with Jewish affairs outside of Josephus. He always seemed busy with more important things like regaining control of Egypt for the Persians or increasing his power in the empire or bumping off his kingly masters (Diodorus). Besides, the one already governor of Judea late in Darius II's reign would have been a doddery, old guy by Art. III's time.

So this would mean one 'Johanan,' two different 'Bagoases' and two different 'Sanballats' - wouldn't that be 'special pleading' too?

There's a bit of mental gymnastics involved in assigning Eliashib's grandson a position at the temple "with his own chamber!" at the same time as his grandfather. It seems more likely that he had his own chamber during his own tenure as High Priest, during the 7th year of a later king.

What later king? They don't say Johanan was high priest yet - just that he was old enough to have a prominent, responsible position in the temple.

Josephus doesn't say Johanan had responsibilities in the temple at that time. What Josephus does say is that Ezra went out of the temple and then into the chamber of Johanan, which doesn't indicate anything official about either Johanan or his chamber. As indicated in my previous post about the possible age of Johanan, he would probably have been an infant in the 7th year of Artaxerxes I. It is entirely consistent that Ezra, just after he'd dismissed foreign wives and children, might go to the room of a child - particularly the [grand]son of the High Priest - to have a cry.

Naah. I don't buy the 'went into the child's room to have a cry' angle. LOL. C'moooon. It wouldn't have been noteworthy that, while he was there, he didn't eat or drink anything ... unless the kid had had his own larder installed. LOL. Priests had chambers around the temple area with different functions. Cp. Ezra 8:29 and Neh. 13:4, 5.

[From a later post] The person who Josephus calls Johanan (when he quotes Ezra 10:6), but who Ezra calls Jehohanan, probably isn't the same person as the person who Josephus calls John. Therefore, J[eh]ohanan may actually have been a son (as stated by Ezra) of Eliashib (therefore, a brother of Joiada and uncle of Joh[ana]n) rather than Eliashib's grandson (as assumed).

That's a possibility too. I've seen it posited somewhere that this J[eh]onanan might have been the son-in-law of Sanballat that was sent away (Neh. 13:28). Furthermore, the Eliashib of Ezra 10:6 may not even be the same one from Neh. 12 & 13.

This doesn't alter the fact that Johanan was High Priest in the 14th year of Darius II, though it does support the idea that his tenure began around that time.

The idea that his tenure began around that time is pure speculation. You don't know whether he was at the beginning, middle or end of his tenure by Darius yr. 14.

You'll be happy to know (thrilled, I'm sure) that for my final version of the chart I will be marking certain ranges of years as approximate.

[Re: Why 6 years for Darius?] Only as a comparison to what I'd already charted.

? Don't follow.

Commentaries: You provided 5 out of 7 that go for Darius III. So? I've already given you 1 that favors Darius II, another one that is undecided; you have given another 2 which say Darius II, and I can find other commentaries and dictionaries to bring that number to match your 5 and more.

New Bible Dictionary (3rd ed. 1996, InterVarsity Press), 'Darius,' p. 257:

3. Darius II (Nothus), who ruled Persia and Babylon (423-408 BC), called 'Darius the Persian' in Ne. 12:22, perhaps to distinguish him from 'Darius the Mede'. Since the father of Jaddua the high priest is mentioned in an Elephantine papyrus c. 400 BC, there is no need to assume that this Jaddua was the high priest who met Alexander in 332 BC and that the Darius here meant is Darius III (Codomanus), who reigned c. 336-331 BC.

Holman OT Commentary (2005, B&H Publishing), p. 257:

12:22-23 ... There are varying opinions about which Darius this refers to, but it was probably Darius II.

Eerdman's Commentary on the Bible (2003), 'Nehemiah' (Lester L. Grabbe), p. 327:

(This was easier than typing it out.)

No doubt there are other ones that prefer Darius III as well. All this shows is that determining the identification of 'Darius the Persian' remains one knotty chronological problem among many in Ezra-Nehemiah with no easy, neat solutions and with reputable scholars divided on the matter.

Btw, the Barnes one wasn't really Barnes (why do they do that? *sigh*). He only did Job, Psalms, Isaiah and Daniel. His Notes were incorporated into one 14 vol. work which bears his name, but other commentators' works supplemented what Barnes didn't do. The Nehemiah section actually comes from F.C. Cook.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Nope, the priestly years are not from Seder Olam Zuta.

That's quite annoying. I did track down which Wikipedia editor originally added the years and left a message with them requesting that they provide their source.

Then there would have to be two 'Bagoases' as well.

I'm not seeing a problem with a single Bagoas being active during the reigns of Darius II and Artaxerxes II, which correlates with the tenures of Joiada and Johanan.

Priests had chambers around the temple area with different functions.

A few of the commentaries note that the High Priest (i.e. Eliashib) could allocate such 'chambers' (which were outside the temple) to whomever they saw fit.

They don't say Johanan was high priest yet - just that he was old enough to have a prominent, responsible position in the temple.

See my more recent post about Johanan and Jehohanan. Ah... you did.

Don't follow [6 years for Darius].

The 2 discrepancies about those two differences of one year each in my chart were the result of rounding of months.

[Eerdman's Commentary on the Bible]

Because the list of High Priests and reference to Darius at Nehemiah 12:22 is probably a later interpolation, it is unsurprising that, as Garbe points out, the writer of the rest of the passage seems unfamiliar with more than one Artaxerxes.

It may be consistent with the fragments of information available, but it remains conjecture.

I'm very grateful for your eagle-eye on these matters. I'm going to incorporate as much detail as possible for the final version I eventually upload to my blog. I only see this as 'a puzzle to be solved', and not anything of monumental importance, and definitely not anything remotely mystical. I maintain that Nehemiah 12:22 refers to Darius III as a better fit though.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    It wouldn't have been noteworthy that, while he was there, he didn't eat or drink anything

The noteworthy part of him not eating is why he stayed there without eating, not necessarily where he stayed without eating. The point is to illustrate his grief, and the reason for his not eating is explicitly stated as because he was mourning, and not 'despite being where there was food'.

Note that the NWT translates the word for 'chamber' as 'dining hall', and sets up a contrast by using the word "although", but that doesn't seem to have any basis in the original text.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Britannica says Bagoas was a name often used for Persian eunuchs - which makes it more like a title, so it is more likely that there might be more than one of those than a repeated sequence of other people's names. So it is possible that there was a different Bagoas during Artaxerxes III's reign distinct from the one during Darius II and Artaxerxes II. But it's not impossible that they're the same person.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

No. Just the one who first appears during the time of Aratxerxes II, during the latter part of Johanan's tenure, and up to about 336 BCE.

[Later edit, dangit] I'm not seeing a problem with a single Bagoas being active during the reigns of Darius II and Artaxerxes II, which correlates with the tenures of Joiada and Johanan.

[Later post] So it is possible that there was a different Bagoas during Artaxerxes III's reign distinct from the one during Darius II and Artaxerxes II. But it's not impossible that they're the same person.

Art. II? Conjecture. Who knows which Artaxerxes Jos. had in mind? Did he conflate II and III?

In any case, we know a Governor Bagoas is contemporaneous with Johanan the High Priest late in Darius II's reign (407 BCE). A General Bagoas next pops up in history in Art. III's reign (343 BCE), without Johanan and without mention of being involved in Jewish affairs, and dies in 336 BC in Darius III's reign. If it is the same Bagoas as the one in Darius II's reign, by the time he was charging forth against Egypt he would have been a doddery, wrinkly octogenarian at the very least! Ergo, two 'Bagoases.' Right?

The 'child's room' idea really doesn't fly.

Whether Darius II or III, it is an interesting puzzle, but I have spent waaay too long on this the past few days and been neglecting other, more mundane, RL things. I'm glad you are chasing up the Wikipedia writer. Let us know how that goes.

I think you'll find this book right up your alley: J. VanderKam, From Joshua to Caiaphas: High Priests After the Exile (2004). It looks like he really does his homework on this 'Darius the Persian' conundrum as well as the chronology of the Ezra-Nehemiah high priests lists. He analyses the pros and cons of different proposed solutions and, having weighed the evidence, it looks like (based on the preview pages I can access) he accepts the generations as they are in Neh. 12:10, 11 and for 12:22 .... *drum roll* .... Darius III.

However, he wisely does not offer a fixed time-line for the succession of high priests during the Persian period, but does this instead:

This is all the evidence suggests. They can't be tied down much further than that.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Conjecture.

Of course. In the absence of solid evidence, that's all that can be done. Plus, I'm the Messiah. Or messier. One of them.

Whether Darius II or III, it is an interesting puzzle, but I have spent waaay too long on this the past few days and been neglecting other, more mundane, RL things. I'm glad you are chasing up the Wikipedia writer. Let us know how that goes.

Thanks for all your hard work.

I'll keep you posted on whether I get a response from the Wiki editor...

*drum roll* .... Darius III.

Ye of little faith.

Past my bedtime now...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit