The CO and his wife have no home

by not bitter 26 Replies latest jw friends

• not bitter
    not bitter

How do they do it?

I know some have a flat or apartment that they can go to on the odd week off but I believe that the majority have no base to call home.

My parents have the CO and wife stayng this week again and I asked my mum about it. She says that if they do get the any time off they go to her mothers to stay but thats only every few months. I just can't imagine having to live out of a suitcase in someone elses home constantly.

How to they not crack up. I can just about cope with spending one night at a friends house and I can't wait to get back home and sit around in my PJ's doing what I want to do. There's no place like home.

And what happens when they retire from ill health or whatever. Where do they go and how are their lives funded. What if they woke up and wanted out. They would never find work without an employment history.

I feel very sorry for them in that respect. Especially the wives.

Another thing, what if she fell pregnant. What would happen then?

• stillin
    stillin

Many of them used to travel with a camper behind their car, park it at the KH for the week and move on. One CO told me that it was nice to have their own place rather than staying at somebody's home because he may want to chase his wife around once in a while. Lol.

I feel bad for them too. But there are probably more perks than we know...

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Will if it is like the retired CO in the last congregation I was in I know they kick him and his wife out of the Moblie Home they were living in on the KH property. Even though the WT promise them they could stay there until they died. That did not happen. I guess they are living to long as far as the WT is concerned. I was shock to hear that. For some reason the WT wanted that Mobllie Home off the KH property. I guess they need more parking lot space. That is the short version of this story. All I know is the WT broke their promise to them. Totally ADD

• St George of England
    St George of England
    And what happens when they retire from ill health or whatever. Where do they go and how are their lives funded.

Local authority housing and Social Security. (AKA The Devil's wicked system!)

George

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Over 30 years ago I remember the CO and his wife had a trailor on the KH parking lot. There was an issue as to who would pay to insure the moble home while it was parked on the KH property, either the WBTS or the KH members. The following year we had a new CO and he did not have a mobil home..

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    How to they not crack up.

I think they do crack up. Fond memories of pioneering and the CO started beating us over the head with the idea that even though we pioneered/did our part-time jobs all week plus FS Saturday and Sunday morning, plus the meeting Sunday afternoon why didn't we go in FS Saturday afternoon instead of bunking off!

They were going through hell so why not make everyone else miserable.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

If they are living that way it is by their choice.

They wanted the position and perceived prestige it brought. After years of counselling others badly on life choices (education, savings etc)

Why shouldnt they pay the same price? I dont feel sorry for any of them.

HB

• I quit!
    I quit!

I remember witnesses making fun of other religions because their ministers could retire and had retirement plans in place for themselves. People who listen to the Watchtower make bad life choices from the lowly magazine peddler right up to the boys at the top.

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

We were about 7 years into IT, back in the mid 80’s, when a very nice CO couple came through. He was very smooth, in the nicest and seemingly sincerest way. He loved public speaking and loved the work. His wife was also very kind and sincere. They were both very natural and you could laugh with them and be yourself (sic). They were nice looking too.

Well finally after a number of years the wife couldn’t take it anymore. She must have reached her limit of tolerance, she had a breakdown, and her mother was ageing and she wanted to be near her. Fortunately, her husband supported her and they ended up living with the mother (I believe) and he had to get a job. He became an elder and was still able to give his talks but he confessed with tears in his eyes (to someone, as the story goes) that it was the hardest thing he ever had to do. If I can think of their name I'll add it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I agree with hamsterbait 152%!

Those guys and their wives are living the life THEY SELECTED.

If it doesn't work out quite as they planned, TFB.

I have as much compassion for them as they have for the always-in-the-future victims of their imaginary Armageddon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit