"Who, then, is the faithful and wise servant...?" - NEW ARTICLE

by EdenOne 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• zeb
    zeb

Eden, lovely site and words.

• irondork
    irondork

Where do you get the idea that I'm a "she" ??

Apparently from the wrong side of the wooden nickel I tossed.

Please accept my apology.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Please accept my apology.

It's all good. Had a good laugh.

Eden

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

@ EDEN:

An interesting hypothesis regarding Peter being the FDS in the 1st century.

However, as can be seen from Paul's words regarding the "prominent ones" in Jerusalem, Peter was amongst those who actually contended with Paul's spirit-inspired revelation regarding the circumcision issue. (Galatians 2:6,11)

Clearly then, the Holy Spirit was not using Peter (the alleged FDS) to "dispense food at the proper time" and clarify a major doctrine, but instead was using Paul!!

Also, the Holy Spirit (the promised 'helper') was poured out on everyone at Pentecost - not just Peter - so they weren't dependent on Peter for spiritual food.

Paul produced more spiritual food for Christians in his writings than anyone else - Peter included!

My own opinion:

All Christians are slaves - faithful or not!

All will be judged by how they 'served' the Master - not a self-appointed FDS.

Some translations render the Jesus' words thus - "who really is a faithful slave?", not 'the, thereby encompassing all Christians in the parable.

Opinions will continue to differ, regardless.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Searcher,

You have to understand the overall tone of the letter of Paul to the Galatians. Paul was making his defense that his apostleship was in no way inferior to that of the original twelve apostles. It is rather clear that there was a sentiment in the congregations that the original twelve, being Jews that walked with Jesus during his eartlhy ministry, were more "genuine" apostles, whereas Paul was appointed in a supernatural way that many (possibly including some of the original apostles) looked down on it. It took years before the other twelve regarded Paul as one of their "peers". Paul obviously felt some disgrunt about that.

Especially where congregations with many Jews existed had a tendency to resist the apostolic authority of Paul - no doubt because Paul was radical in the rejection of the Jewish habits - while some of the apostles, namely James and the "older men" of the congregation of Jerusalem, were in favor of a form of Christianity closer to judaism. Hence the letter that Paul wrote to the Hebrews.

I disagree that Paul had a revelation regarding the rejection of circumcision; He simply understood it with the help of the Holy Spirit. Notice that Peter was among those who issued the letter from the "apostles and older men" in Jerusalem that stated that circumcision wasn't a requirement for Christians. He clearly felt that was the direction of the Holy Spirit.

The episode reported by Paul in Antioch hasn't got to do with circumcision or resistence to the Holy Spirit. It has to do with a personal weakness of Peter, who sometimes gave in to fear of men - remember the episode where he denied Christ three times for the same fear of men. He wasn't perfect. Yet, Christ loved him and chose him.

Also, you equate the amount of letters written with amount of "spiritual food" produced. If that was the measure, then Jesus wouldn't have produced ANY spiritual food, for he has not written anything. That's not a fair acessment.

Finally, regarding the use of "a slave" versus "the slave", I looked it up in the original Greek before i wrote the article. It's the definite article used, therefore "the slave".

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cedars

will shoot you an email later on.

Eden

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

You wrote an article and the conclusion was a surprise to you? ...................................

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Yes.

I always start with an hypothesis in my head. As I began to research, evidence led me into a different conclusion than what I had initially considered as an hypothesys. In that sense, it was a surprise.

Eden

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

I do not think anyone thought of Peter.

There is no way I could apply those scriptures to the 144,000.

Good job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit