Tri-tip and Horse-manure

by Oubliette 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Tri-tip and Horseshit

(Note: This is not a recipe)

So I used to attend a Kingdom Hall that was adjacent to horse property. On hot summer evenings the smell from the stables could get pretty ripe.

As one Brother used to say, "You don't need to see them to know they're there!"

One particular day, as I was getting out of my car and heading toward the hall, a curious thing happened. Another neighbor was barbecuing some tri-tips. You could smell the spiciness of the Santa Maria rub wafting teasingly on the hot summer breeze.

But it wasn't only the aroma from the cooking meat I could smell. It was mixed in about equal proportion with the smell of the fresh, steaming horseshit coming from behind the Kingdom Hall parking lot.

It was really a very strange experience. The smell of the beef cooking on the BBQ was quite delicious. I love tri-tip, especially with hot-buttered corn, ranch-style beans and a cold beer. The idea of that was very appealing at that precise moment. I wanted to breathe it in deeply in big, huge gulps, but the equally present rank and bitter stench from the horseshit made me want to gag.

There was a definite tension between wanting to smell and not wanting to smell, to breath and to not breath, to hold my breath. But you can only go without breathing for so long. And so, with every breath I could smell equal parts of both the barbecued meat and the horse manure. Oddly, the presence of the good smell seemed to make me even more aware of the unpleasant one.

I often think that our life is like that: Tri-tip and horseshit.

Right now, almost everything in my life is good, really good in fact. I have a great job, a beautiful wife that I love and that loves me too. I have fantastic friends that care about me for who I am and not what I pretend to believe. And since leaving Jehovah's Witnesses I have been able to rebuild some long broken relationships with family members that were never JWs. I even have time to work on some long-neglected personal projects now that I don't spend every free moment "out in service" or in endless elders' meetings.

Still, there is one area of my life that is not good: my relationship with my adult children that are still in the cult of Jehovah's Witnesses. Because of the WT shunning policy my own kids will not even talk to me. It's been years. It hurts. I think of it all the time. Sometimes it hurts like hell. I would do anything to reunite and reconcile, but I can't do it as long as they are under the spell of WT mind-control.

Even when I'm enjoying the many blessings of my present life (and there are many), the pain and sadness from the separation and alienation from my children is always there. The pain is the horseshit that pervades my every thought, my every breath.

You'd think after all this time that maybe I'd get used to it. I haven't. It still stinks.

• wasblind
    wasblind

O, this is the best post I have read in a long time

It touches the soul

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Oubliette, I think some people would not understand that the more time passes the harder it becomes. People usually feel with time the pain of loss lessens. It doesn't. It only becomes more magnified with every passing day.

I am sorry for the pain you have endured because a cult has separated you from your children. Someone mentioned in another one of your threads that your children are adults. Why would that make it any less painful?

Sending love

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Wasblind, glad you appreciated it.

Rip, thanks for those kind words. Sunday being Father's Day didn't really help. Even though we never celebrated it, it is still a reminder. My stepkids sent me "Happy Father's Day" wishes. Two of my siblings (never JWs) sent me really nice thoughtful messages too.

I even got some text messages and an email from "evil apostates" that have become my friends here on JWN.

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

My heart warmed thoughts are with you.....

• *lost*
    *lost*

great post O. it is an awful ampty aching hole that doesn't heal.

bad day for me today also, keening for my son. It hurts, it really hurts, yes.

It is like being tortured.

• Glander
    Glander

Nothing is worse than the blended smell of Brussel sprouts and vegetarian farts.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Well put, I think all of us feel the same, glad to be free of the cult, but sad at relationships we had to sacrifice for our freedom.

• Skinnedsheep
    Skinnedsheep

Solid

• wasblind
    wasblind

((((((( Lost )))))))

Experiences like this is what angers me and compel me to try and show others the true nature of the beast

Which is the outlawed practiced of Slavery

In this case, bein' forced to work for free and peddle rags for a publishin' Co.

in order to recieve a gift that was given freely

Cotton fields have been traded in for street corners , parkin' lots, and laundromats

It wouldn't be complete without an overseer . Um hmn, the WtS even got those

in this day and age

When slavery was outlawed , It didn't mean it was no longer allowed

it meant folks had to find another way to get around it. And they did

The WTS has done this . Because the things they do

would be against the law if they didn't lay claim to bein' a religion

There is no law that mandate family units stay intact

But the WTS will hold your family members hostage, yes, use family as a form of punishment

if you choose to leave. If not hidin' under " Religion " that would be kiddnappin'

Your family has to treat you like you don't exist

Like the Southern slaves, Jehovah's Witnesses who escape the chains of the WTS

are separated from thier loved ones

This same threat was used to keep the southern slaves in line

And the only way for the Jehovah's witness to keep his family intact

is to go against thier own will to be free. Stay put. And do what the Master bids him to do

It's not love for Jehovah that keep many in, And the WTS knows this

Because many walk away and still have a belief in God.

They jus' don't believe in the WTS

The power the WTS have over a Jehovah's Witnesses

is his love for his family

To be sure a loved one was not sold off, it is written that

a slave would endure a thousand lashes of the whip if need be and promise

undyin' loyalty in order to prevent the sale of a loved one

That love is powerful. And the WTS has used that love agaisnt many

of its own members

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit