How important is your home to you?

by usualusername 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

St Gearge 80% of wealth is inherited. Its nice to leave a life times hard work to secure a better future for your loved ones. A home should be an investment and security..even a pension for old age. Always buy if possible never rent.

• designs
    designs

Is there a lot at stake emotionally with the house. When I moved my family from the city to the country it was difficult on my daughter, changing friends and all, and the old house was really home to her.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

How important are the bricks and mortar you currently live in?

I am not divorced so I didn't walk away from my house that way. However, I lived in a "family commune", as most call it, with mom, sisters, brothers, etc living real close. After my dad died, I had a brother that came home from working overseas at Bethel branches (oh, the love absorbed at the bethel branches) and decided that he was going to be a "difficult" neighbor to say the least. I mean not nice about anything, totally an ass, blatant lies, deceit, and hatred. So I talked to my wife and we sold the house. We were not really wanting to leave the house because I had worked on it so hard and it was very nice, but left it because the unloving attitude of the family.

Moving was easy, we sold everything and just drove away. I did make some money on the deal, and I am still renting, at a really good price. But I view it as a small price to pay for freedom. I have neighbors that will say hi to me when we see each other in the yard, are nice to my kids, we can ask a neighbor to feed the cats or dogs and are comfortable with that. My wife is getting her degree and soon we will both be working, and the hot conversation is "where will we move to?". My daughter wants a place by the ocean. So I think it has kept us active in the game of life having the changes, and there are plenty of nice places on earth to live, even in other countries.

• nugget
    nugget

Speak to the mortgage company about the missing payments. If you have paid without a break previously you may be entitled to a mortage holiday. This will regularise the situation. If you have a poor credit rating it is harder to get a mortgage and the interest rate is likely to be higher.

Is it possible to talk to your ex and explain that you need some time to negotiate this and need to show at least 6 months of regular payments. I can understand why she is anxious to get her name off a debt but selling the property could take even longer to arrange.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

usualusername/usualusern@me ??

Anyway, I sympathize. As many on this board know, I fought for two years to keep my home. I got the house in my divorce settlement, but I had used the equity to purchase another property just before the recession hit and wiped me out. After a long, hard fight I had exhausted all my options for a mortgage, including private lenders. It came down to the wire last fall. The bank already had the for sale signs up and things were not looking good. People here suggested I not give up. So I didn't. I tried once more, and suddenly found a private lender who would take my mortgage. I had to sign on to a horrendous payment for a year, but I have a repreive and a chance to turn my finances around. I've subsequently had several setbacks, but I've been able to overcome them and keep going. I now have several renters who are making it easier for me, although I have holes in my roof that are waiting to present me with my next setback.

So there may be options for you. Make lots of phone calls, talk to everyone you can think of, and don't hesitate to go to the top - I wrote to the bank CEO with some success during my struggle.

To your OP, I fought to keep my home not so much because it in itself represents something that important. If I had custom-built it I might feel different, but I'm happy to sell it and move on. But I didn't want to lose control of my opportunities and lose all my equity, and having to move under those circumstances would have taken a toll on me that I wasn't ready for. So I felt it was worth it to fight. BUT, my home IS important in the sense that it is mine. I never want to return to renting. You can make a home from any bricks and mortar, it's really up to you. The important thing is to have a space that belongs to you (and the bank, of course!).

The other day I was thinking how all the rooms in my home have evolved over time. They went from being shared bedrooms of my daughters, to individual spaces for teenagers, to become computer rooms and grandkid playrooms, now they are rented out to strangers. Life evolves and we need to grow with it. If I can make my home change and grow according to my needs, I can do the same in any house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit