Why leave one religion only to join another one??

by Monsieur 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Some need religion. They need the sense of belonging that only organized religion can provide. Others, others lose all faith in religion after leaving the organization. They feel like JF Rutherford felt, "Religion is a snare and a racket." When you get to that point, all religion becomes a joke. It is a means to an end, and typically that end is money.

I have seen more leave the organization and becomes agnostic or atheist than return to an organized sect. Can't say that I blame them, faith is a precarious thing and when it is damaged or abused, does not mend well.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I don't think the question was serious.... more like humor and gentle ridicule .

It is interesting that Jesus never started a religion. He called people to Himself....to relationship, to fellowship, to sup with Him. All scripture pointed and still points to Him.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    The jw faith teaches a very positive 'concept' of Christ and his teachings,

Really?!!..

Try saying "Jesus" too many times around JW`s..

You may as well Sacrifice a Chicken in front of them..

You`d get the Same Result..

...................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

i see

• Laika
    Laika

The Watchtower Society may teach a 'positive' view of Christ and his teachings in the sense they tell you they are good things, but they certainly do not promote a positive worldview.

Their worldview is one where you have to strive to make Jehovah love you by meeting his 'standards', which nobody finds they can do. It is misery. Surely there are no perfect churches but there is much better than this out there.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am one of the ones you consider fools. First, there are myriads religous bodies in the world. My own does not care much about doctrine or rules. Its history was so bloody and part of the British const'n struggles that the empahsis is on how we act in the world. There are amazing ministires to the homeless and, sadly, to AIDS survivors. We don't need to throw Jesus out with the WT dirty water. What I worship today is the exact opposite of the WT. It is a very main stream church.

My reasons for joining are very personal. This church provided an intellectual feast, warmth in a WASPy manner, soaring music, and love. No one is ever turned away from communion for any reason. If there is a rule, inclusion is the rule. I literally stumbled upon it. Were it not for a few personal experiences, I would be agnostic or atheist.

I am proud that I rescued some good things from the abysmal WT nonsense. If I had to choose one factor that attracts me, it would be that it is the opposite of the WT. Communion with people and tradition isi mportant to me. Frankly, since I left Manhattan, I have no intellectual feast.

It never ceases to amaze me how nice the clergy are, even when I temporarily are furious with them. They supply the weed and jokes at many a party. On 9/12/2001 I saw nice men invested with the Holy Spirit. Men were heaving with sobs. We were so traumatized. B/c there is much socialization, we all knew they were just human nice guys. They were forced to comfort us. I ached for them. My church was doing burials with only fifteen time slots in between funerals. We worried about them b/c no one is trained for what happened.

I do not see my choice as foolish. Also, I attend other churches, esp. Eastern Rites. I pick and choose. Sometimes I am just agnostic. It is fine with them. I asked whether i should not be confirmed b/c I lacked the fervor of my JW days. They replied that church is a community of people asking the same questions that no human can answer. All my doubts they share-perhaps more so than I do.

Also, a good heart and character is what I seek in people in the final analysis I fiind such people in churches and on the streets. Church attendance has little to do with anything important. Every gospel reading I am convinced that Jesus wants me to show my principles in everyday life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit