Why leave one religion only to join another one??

by Monsieur 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

I read how many here have learned TTAT, leave the jw faith, but then subscribe to the 'true' gospel of Jesus.

It seems rather contradictory. The jw faith teaches a very positive 'concept' of Christ and his teachings, how is this different from the way other religions teach it?

It seems more logical to discard or ignore ANY claims of historic or authentic proof of Christ's existence. (his 'teachings' on the other hand, are pretty sound and depending on your personality worthy of aspiring to. these teachings, though, don't require that they originate from the mouth of Jesus aka they are universal).

• Wholly
    Wholly

I don't understand what you're saying. It seems a little mixed up to me.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

That is similar to saying that one doesn't like Granny Smith Apples, so why should they eat red delicious or any apple for that matter

• blondie
    blondie

Or why move out of one house and move into another or build one to your own specifications?

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Regardless of whether you are believer or not, the fact that the Jesus of the WTS is VERY different than the Jesus taught by most of Christendom (and yes, they use this term in a positive manner unlike what JW's have been taught!). I would suggest that you do a little research on the matter, but a couple of the big differences have to do with the deity of Jesus (God or "a god") and the definition of Grace (or in JW talk, "underserved kindness"). Again, whether you believe or not, you can see why people are drawn to something presented in a very different light than what they were taught as JW's.

Some may become Atheists after leaving the WTS, but it is not unreasonable to compare it to food. Some may have an epiphany and choose to be vegetarians, while others may just give up red meat and switch to chicken and fish.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

There are many reasons for joining another church. The JW religion is basically unfulfilling as a way of life, it requires complete dedication to the rules of the GB, but gives very little back. Meetings, study and field service is constantly emphasized, to the exclusion of all else in life. They constantly preach doom and gloom, the idea that God will soon destroy all mankind, sparing only JWs, and probably not all of them. It has a rigid mindset of struck adherence to burdensome, man made rules, many not even found in the bible. The meetings are tedious and field service is futile. Personal expression is discouraged, there is often mean gossip and fault finding in the congregation. Joy is completely lacking.

But there are benefits from belonging to a faith based community. I believe we all naturally have a sense of spirituality. It doesn't necessarily have to be expressed as a particular religion, or even belief in God. But belonging to a good church does have benefits, it encourages spiritual thinking by regular meetings, it offers a sense of community, it encourages charitable giving, it encourages personal expressions of faith, and it offers support in times of trouble.

I respect those who do not feel this need, or who do not believe in God, that is understandable, I felt the same, for many years after I left. But now I find myself open to the idea of joining a church and I have been attending one for the last few months. I haven't joined yet, it's too early to say if this is for me, but I am enjoying it so far, and see many benefits to joining.

• Glander
    Glander

I gave a huge part of my life to the JW version of a relationship with the creator. The JW scheme fell apart for me after becoming an elder. So I let it be known and was DF'd for apostasy. But I still wanted to believe in a God/Father. Within a couple of years the fog cleared and I became a devout atheist/secular humanist or whatever you want to call it. I found the real Truth.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I read how many here have learned TTAT, leave the jw faith, but then subscribe to the 'true' gospel of Jesus.

It seems rather contradictory. The jw faith teaches a very positive 'concept' of Christ and his teachings, how is this different from the way other religions teach it?

It seems more logical to discard or ignore ANY claims of historic or authentic proof of Christ's existence. (his 'teachings' on the other hand, are pretty sound and depending on your personality worthy of aspiring to. these teachings, though, don't require that they originate from the mouth of Jesus aka they are universal).

The internet is acting kind of crazy today. I can't log on to facebook and this site is showing post from 2 months ago. Maybe

its my computer? People leave the JW's because there is too much baggage and unbiblical rules.

Jesus says I am the truth and the truth will set you free.

With Jesus you get all the good with out the bad of the JW's.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The issue is not religion. Religion cannot save anyone. Religion is not the answer.

In university I had a sticker on my locker which read: Jesus is the answer.

Some student penned under it: What is the question?

If I caught him defacing my sticker I would have told Him some of the questions Jesus is the answer to...like:

Who will love you to death despite yourself?

Who will forgive the very worst of your sins and clean up your life?

Who will clothe you with laughter in the midst of trials?

Who will not let you get away with anything but take you to the woodshed until you learn holiness?

Who will fortify you with His Spirit and speak peace to your soul

Who is absolutely worthy of your love?

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Vanderhoven7

Who will love you to death despite yourself?

Who will forgive the very worst of your sins and clean up your life?

Who will clothe you with laughter in the midst of trials?

Who will not let you get away with anything but take you to the woodshed until you learn holiness?

Who will fortify you with His Spirit and speak peace to your soul

Who is absolutely worthy of your love?

--

i believe that the 'point' of the stranger writing 'what is the question?' underneath your sticker was that he had no questions for the concept of Jesus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit