The Prodigal Returns

by TimothyT 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Hi guys. Its been a while.

As it is convention time I was just intrigued as to the new releases so I came on here and saw a new DVD. I decided to go on to youtube where I found it and watched it. I dont think its available now. Has anyone else seen it?

In short I think its a very good production and I think David the prodigal son is cute :) (I wanted him to be gay). Anyway, he raises several good points in the DVD. He says how he is getting crushed at home and how they are always bearing down on him and telling him what to do. This basicaly pushes him out. His judgemental brother was a very good example of an over zealous JW. His dad was pretty relaxed though and seemed to appreciate that David could do what he wanted. I wonder if the JWs consider that it is not the standards of Jehovah that people fight against, its the constant pressure and brow beating by family, friends, and elders which make people leave and go another way. This was certainly evident in the DVD.

I also think the DVD was very catastrophised. He was doing well after leaving the JWs. He had a job, an apartment, new friends, etc. However he suddenly lost them all, which im not sure would happen. He clearly wasnt clever in managing his money and yes he should have settled for better in terms of an apartment. He could have easily gone on the job seekers and the girl in the DVD who he eventually slept with was LOVELY! Im gay and even I liked her. She seemed so sweet. He could have started a relationship with her and tried to sort his life out. All in all it seemed very catastrophic. I guess this is the point the GB want the brothers to see though. If you leave the organisation, your life will end like this. You will have bad friends, you will get drunk, you will lose your job, you will have no money, you will have shallow relationships. So closed minded and narrow.

Apart from the fact that I actually enjoyed the DVD, it made me reflect on my own situation. Since leaving I have had no desire to go back as a prodigal son. I imagine some in my cong will watch the DVD in a few weeks and think of me. My life is going too well. I have a stable relationship, I have good friends, I have a good job, I have everything I need. Im doing great. I guess this is the point though. The JWs believe that if you are not part of the org then you must be unhappy and you must be struggling. Perhaps one day he will return.

Tim x

• Fernando
    Fernando

Welcome back Tim, it great to hear you're doing well on all fronts.

Greetings, blessings, peace and love to you and yours

Fernando

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Hello, and it's great to hear form you again. I'm glad to hear life is going well. I expected as much, you always seemed such to a level headed person, planned and thought things through.

I think the cult forgets people vary tremendously, thoes who think things through and plan are always going to have a better time. I suspect that may be one of the reasons they are so quick to throw people out, they hope that they can't land on their feet and come ack begging for help. I ahven't seen this video yet, but I do remember the drama it is based on. I was totally disgusted then, so I'm sure this video can't be any better.

I still can't get over how it shows both brothers still living at home, they have such a hard time letting people grow up in the org.

The other thing that stands out to me is how they protrayed his friends, maybe Al wasn't the best guy, but he never gave ay other friends a chance, I know that the friends I have made since leaving would never trea me like that, and if I had a personal crisis they would not abandon me.

I described this drama at the time I saw it as very emotionally manuplative, the video sounds worse. Painting "worldly" people as uncaring is nothing new, this just seems over the top.

Again, good to hear from you, I wish you all the best!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Welcome back. Can you provide a link to the video?

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

TimothyT, you have a PM.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I am a born-in and I thought the video was horrible. Not the production, the message. It is another white-washing job by the JW's. They are purposely trying to potray the " super-spiritual " Brother as a jerk, but not too much. This makes the rank-and -file think " See..the GB know that being self-righteous is bad. This is God's organization!!" So, in that way it disgusted me. I know that everything was carefully crafted to distract JW's from what is going on in the Organization. They will simply view anyone who is df'd as an unrepentant rebel even more! The Org is sooo loving that anyone who is df'd must have deserved it! Do not under estimate them. They also know their videos are being leaked on the net and watched by worldly people. So, they are going to be carefully crafting the image they want potrayed. The interviews afterward really showed the cult-mentality of the group. It was totally staged but meant to seem informal. It was screepy...

Also, when the parents were singing Kingdom Melodies in the kitchen, I thought, " These people are sh*** crazy!!" It was messed up. I give it a 4 out of 10. I agree that the one girl was super-hot.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

So this JW guy named Jehoshua on YT sent this to my inbox:

Jehoshua4u

The prodigal returns please watch Thumbnail 1:34:34 Watch Later The Prodigal Returns - DVD For more information please visithttp://www.jw.org

I noticed a number of us ex-JWs gave comments telling him what we thought of this new "spiritual food" from Gee-hovah... :)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Ray, when I tried to play the videos I got the error message, "This video is private."

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Yeah he must have just made it private... The comments were too much for him I'm sure, most of these JW apologists can't take any arguments against their GB masters...

• gbrn
    gbrn

Agreed Ray. I watched about half of it yesterday (could only stomach that much) and when I came back to finish it later in the evening it was gone. Can some one post it on sendspace, or repost on youtube? I was just about to get to the good part where his life falls apart

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit