Hubble deep field photograph

by ballistic 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

I have always found the Hubble deep field photograph, apparently Hubbles most important photograph, very interesting.

For those of you who don't know, it's a long exposure or series of long exposures taken over many months of an otherwise completely empty and black region of space.

I was reading some info on it from the UK physicist Brian Cox, and he explains another dimension to it.

When you look at the deep field photograph, you are seeing a true 3D picture. Each galaxy in the picture are vast distances apart. Some relatively near, some almost the entire edge of the galaxy away. All the photons that came to make up the picture set off from different times and locations and you are looking back in time when you look at each galaxy. When the photons set out on their journey, our solar system hadn't even formed, nor life to build the equipment to receive it. Many lifeforms did eventually evolve and go extinct. Eventually man evolved and was able to build machine to take us into the sky to take these pictures.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Humbling!

• ballistic
    ballistic

You know, when I go down to some of the beaches near here, the exposed cliffs and ledges were formed in the Jurrasic period, before man arrived on the scene, and I am struck by a deep sense of the aeons of time that have passed. Sometimes I just stand there in the semi-silence interrupted by the odd wave rushing in, and you can almost imagine you are there back in the Jurrasic period. And yet that just pales into insignificance when you look at the deep field photo. Back them, the universe was just a child. The distance of time you are looking back into, words cannot even begin to describe, or do it justice.

• cofty
    cofty

Look at those distant spiral galaxies!

Isn't this far more profound and awe-inspiring than any religion?

• earthfire
    earthfire

I'm always in awe of this photo. There really are no words that can describe the realization of what it means. Thank you for posting it!

• QC
    QC

Note this:

In our homes, wherever, we all have flipped through our TV remote control and found channels with white noisy snow, that piercing SNOW is the background radiation left over from the Big Bang 13.8 billion year ago.

This is empirical observational first hand personal proof for the Big Bang cosmos beginning, the most important event in the universe.

Dissonantly sobering!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Isn't this far more profound and awe-inspiring than any religion?

In a way, yes, but it also is a religion. I can't post a picture like that without wondering if the Uinverse is part of god, or indeed, we are.

Certainly it is more inspiring than the religion I was brought up in, I'll give you that. ;)

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Breathtaking picture. Small point: I think you meant the edge of the Universe in the OP, not the 'entire edge of the galaxy'?

I suppose in a sense it is a 4D picture - 3D plus looking backwards in time :)

I know, I should get out more...

• cofty
    cofty

Currently my favourite word - Yugen...

• prologos
    prologos

Looking and reading a thought occured to me, never clear before:

While all this stuff was once in a singularity, all together,

the entities, galaxies are not of the same age, because they are at different distances/ time zones. so, the organizing has been going on a long time, even close by, in our galaxy. where the star forming pictures come from.

These pictures are all awsome, every night after shutting down JWN I go to "astronomy picture of the day" for a night knap of spirituality of a different kind. but

If you ever looked at these marvels with your own eyes, the real PHOTONS from millions of lightyears away tickling your brain, it is profound, should have Bach playing in the background. go to an astronomy club outing if you can. but:

electronic reproductions have to do with any hubble work.

Satan's world's work at its best. shame on you WT. shamelessly using it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit