Why doen't God perform miracles today?

by sleepy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Why did jesus do miracles?

It is alledged that some 2000 years ago a man claimed to be the son of God , or even God himself (Depends what religion you are).
    In order to give some weight to his cliam he did some miracles, cured a few lepers, made a slap up lunch out of some fish and bread, and took a walk on some water.
    All this to prove he was Gods son.
    But to prove it to who?
    If you ask a witness why God doen't perform miracles today , what do they say.
    We don't need miracles today we have it all written in the Bible.
    Der. The Jews had the bible as well.That had stories about miracles in it.
    By the same reasoning Jesus didn't need to do miracles because the Bible talks of Moses doing miracles.
    If Jesus doing miracles proves he is Gods son then he needs to do miracles for every generation , other wise what does it prove?
    Stories in a book cant prove anything.

• Amazing
    Amazing

If indeed God does perform miracles today ... that is events that are not scams or mere presumptive interpretation crediting God ... then it is one of the best kept secrets in the world.

• Sunflower1982
    Sunflower1982

A friend of mine says, "If the Bible proves the existence of God, comic books prove the existence of Superman." I think you have a good point. People take comfort in stories of miracles, but ultimately "faith" is believing something because you want to believe--not because someone walked on water to convince you. Besides, I'm not so sure that "miracles" are a good thing. I have a hard time believing that God would deliver miracles to help a few people while millions of other people suffer. I like to believe that we are capable of performing our own miracles through faith in ourselves, because we may never have proof of God's existence, but we have daily proof of our own ability to overcome adversity.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Hi Sleepy:

There are a lot of miracles that still happen today, we just don't pay attention to most of them. Which is really too bad. But I have heard of some really great ones (people being healed in unexplained manners, etc).

Also - there were times when even Jesus could not perform miracles because of the lack of faith (see Mark 6:4-5). I'm not sure how that relates to today - I just thought it was an interesting trivial fact when I came across it - I thought Jesus could do anything at any time.

I decided to do some research a while back because I was sure that the entire bible was a fake. I'm glad I did the research, because I found out the opposite! If you want to research that issue, check out the findings of the Dead Sea scrolls and the book of Isaiah - did you know that book contains about 300 prophecies about Jesus and can be proven it was written prior to his birth? Pretty amazing miracle there!

• Xenu
    Xenu

Moses performed miracles, not all believed. Jesus performed miracles, not all believed. There are those that have the truth, not all believe.

• rhett
    rhett
    If the Bible proves the existence of God, comic books prove the existence of Superman.

Hahahahaha, that is good!!! I'm remembering that one the next time someone tries to prove anything about the christian god and/or Jesus by talking about the bible.

I decided to do some research a while back because I was sure that the entire bible was a fake. I'm glad I did the research, because I found out the opposite!

Funny because I was sure the bible was right and was trying to learn more about it and because of that search I've now become an atheist.
    So tell us, where can one find those 300 or so prophesies from before Christ?

• roybatty
    roybatty

What about the Patriot's Super Bowl win?

• Carmel
    Carmel

Roybatty boy,

Them Pats were the epitomy of hagiographics. Even made a movie about them! Of course, them Terps got the same treatment!

cheers

carmel

• Moxy
    Moxy

actually, ive always heard this expressed a little differently, which was miracles were needed when the existing structure was changing. in jesus' time, the jewish system was god's established means of worship and so miracles were provided to establish that gods blessing had moved to the christian congregation. once a structure is established, miracles are no longer needed.

in a similar vein, the WT points out all the semi-miraculous signs of the WT being chosen by god and a new structure replacing an old. there was 1914, clearly marking the kingdoms birth just as foretold, the incredible reversal on the long prison sentences imposed on the WT leaders, the mighty, earth-shaking 'trumpet blast' conventions from 1922-28, and of course, the miraculous growth. what? you didnt see all these miracles? where were you? well, too bad anyways, cause youre not getting any more.

mox

• Dawn
    Dawn

Hi Rhett:

If you want - I could e-mail you some of the research I did for myself. It's not all inclusive - but I found it interesting. My e-mail is open so just let me know.

Also - feel free to e-mail me on why you found it to be un-true - I try to keep an open mind and am always interested in hearing what other people have to say.

Being outside of the JW's is so great!! I can actually think for myself now and make my own decisions. (yeee haaa!!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit