Who's Greg Stafford

by Room 215 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

Old Hippie, et al:

Thanks for the update. Just a ministerial servant? A pity. By all appearances, it wouldn't hurt if he were to be made president of the Borg!

• Farkel
    Farkel

Room 215,

: Thanks for the update. Just a ministerial servant? A pity.

It makes sense, though. What group of window-washer elders would want someone as articulate and smart as Stafford in the elder body?

Farkel

• spender
    spender

farkel: your window washing statement reminded me of a couple congregations in Maryland. I'm making no exaggeration when I say that 3/4 of the brothers in those congregations washed windows for a living. There was at least 4 brothers that owned their own window washing companies, and the rest of them worked for them. What a life...I couldn't bring myself to do that for the rest of my life...when you have so many opportunities today to do something that you really enjoy doing, why settle for window washing?

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

In my congregation - and there are NO exagerrations (tough word for us foreigners, but I guess you get what I tried to write ....) me and my wife are the ONLY ones NOT into window-washing ............
    I am a University-educated guy, and have now taken up my studies, this time in New Testament Greek, and both of us work in "ordinary" jobs, in offices - which no-one seems to be able quite to understand.
    So I am definitely a "Stafford fan".

• Xenu
    Xenu

Farkel-Spender:

The Gospels inform us that the Prophet Messiah was a carpenter.
    The Gospels inform us that St. Paul was a tent maker. The Elohim
    blesses the humble one. Do not think you are better than someone becuase of a career.

• spender
    spender

don't be silly. Since when in Jesus' day was there a computer science field? Since when was there Electrical engineering? Since when was there any engineering at all? Face it, you were either going to own something, sell food, grow food, or build places. My point was that these people had skill that could be better used elsewhere, and they all chose to do window washing...when there's over 100 people doing it in one small area, I'd say something wrong there.

• Xenu
    Xenu

spender:
    The Messiah Prophet could have chosen whatever career path for his day. What did he do? Are you better than Yeshua?

• Gopher
    Gopher

"The Elohim blesses the humble one." Ok. Since when does one's profession have anything to do with their humility? You can be humble and rich, or proud and poor.

Some Bible writers had "non-humble" jobs: Luke was a doctor, David was a KING. Are we to presume that Luke and David were unlikely to receive God's blessing just because they had well-paying jobs??? [8>]

-J.R.

This post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    Any opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

• spender
    spender

exactly, gopher. Xenu's trying to compare apples and oranges here. Jesus didn't live in America. The lands he lived in had governments and rights far different than what we have today. You can't compare jobs directly, because back then markets were completely different. I'll even say this...the number of people that are witnesses working in window washing is in direct relation to the witnesses viewpoint on higher education. Sure, for the stupid people, window washing is probably more their thing...some people like working with their hands, and that's perfectly fine. My dad is a master plumber, and built our two story house in Maryland by himself. I think anybody that can do that has incredible skill. The point is we all have our own special talents, and in a country that allows you to fulfill your dreams, why waste the rest of your life doing something as pointless and meaningless as washing windows, especially if you have the education and desire to do something greater?

• Xenu
    Xenu

Gopher-Spender, therein lies the lesson. Elohim blesses the humble one. David and Luke were humble. To believe someones desires of occupation, in order to focus on the work of Yeshua, are a waste, to call them stupid people...............That is not humble.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit