My sons first talk

by lukejmedic 26 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

As long as he knows you love him even if he didn't want to give a talk.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I'm sure your son appreciated you being there. I was 8 years old when I gave my first reading. It was easy having my parents there to support me. Glad I don't have to do that anymore.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Hey Luke,

thanks for sharing something so personal. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It can be very odd to be back with your eyes open. Very strange comments indeed! Makes we worry about what my children would be getting used to as normal, if they were still there.

I gave a sit down first talk with my sister, when I was 5. Mainly due to nerves, and the stool wasn't big enough yet. I still remember my first talk on my own. Jonah and the big fish. It might as well have been "the Care Bear Stare, and what it can do for you!".

I hope and it sounds like you still have visitation? Does he get to be with you often? If so, you just keep doing what you are doing. Showing support, and not letting them be the only ones giving him community.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Luke, you will never regret that bond and memories you made with your son... I think the only thing that kids think about is "My dad was there!" and they all want their dads to be proud of them.... He will treasure this!

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    I don't have kids but if my father showed up to support me in any context I'd be thrilled. I would assume that at seven consistency and support are more important than your concerns of indoctrination. Trying to counter the Org teachings would only serve to confuse him and possibly create a chasm in your relationship. There will be plenty time for this when he's older and his faculties better equipped.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp
    So glad you were there for him. He will never forget how that felt. I am sure you are very proud of him. You sound like a fantastic Dad.
  • Heaven
    Heaven
    Finkelstein, I had the same thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit