My sons first talk

by lukejmedic 26 Replies latest jw friends

• lukejmedic
    lukejmedic

Quick backstory:Raised a JW, MS, reg pioneer, international need greater work. I have been DA for 2 years, divorced, ex and my son live 6 hours away near Walkill NY.

My sons first talk is coming up, in August. He is 7 years old. I am going to go, that is not even a question in my mind. This will not be about me after all, but about him. I think it is important to show support for him as I know he will be nervous.

Any my suggestions or comments?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Just smile and tell him he did a good job.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    I've never been in your shoes, I just couldn't bring myself to going. That's just me. After disassociating yourself, I'm not sure who will bear more harm? You because you see your son being indoctrinated or your son when he looks you in the face.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

That's a tough one. I guess you have to do what is best for you and your son. No one can tell you what to do.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    If it means a lot for your son, go and tell him he did a good job
  • blondie
    blondie

I was 10...due to the language barrier...I just hope the school overseer gives him one that is age appropriate.

I found that when I had to do research and find an application to people, the points were the ones I questioned more. No parroting. Great that you are going, that you are still interested in his life.

• badcompany
    badcompany

You are absolutely right. It's all about your son. I gave my first talk about that age and I can't say it was a bad experience although I was spewing BS that was fed to me. I was glad my Dad was there.

Blondie - I don't want to hijack this thread about "age appropriate" talks (LOL). I'll start a new one.

• millie210
    millie210

How wonderful that you have the take you do on it Lukejmedic. It is all about your son.

Its a big deal to him and having you there will make him very happy.

Thats a long drive but worth it.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

If you are not there for your son on his "memorable" days in life, then he will never be receptive to any crucial advice you'd want to give him as he grows up, so you're making a great & self-sacrificing gesture by going to support him.

He'll remember your presence for years. Make it really happy for him!

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters
    Make sure you get to say to him, "I'm here because I love you."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit