Will The Governing Body Tighten Control Over Rank & File Members Even If It Opens Them Up To More Lawsuits?

by frankiespeakin 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Quendi
    Quendi

Compared to the Governing Body of 35 years ago, the current group can be characterized as unlettered, uneducated and unsophisticated. While I don’t think of them as mere figureheads, they are also incapable of providing the leadership the WTS needs. They must be relying on those men who have had superior education and greater experience, and that means the lawyers, CPAs and administrators who run the different departments at headquarters.

I have been told that there is very little real Bible research being done at Bethel anymore. As blondie has stated elsewhere, the current approach is a “cut and paste” operation. We can’t expect anything that is the result of intensive research and scholarship. Instead, The Watchtower and other publications will regurgitate old teachings and put great emphasis on obeying the teachings of the Governing Body. After all, that is what assuming the title of “faithful and discreet slave” has meant. The WTS now has a collective papacy which expects to exercise all the powers of its Roman Catholic counterpart.

I think vidiot is right to say that while nobody is dictating to the Governing Body, there are men who are manipulating them. But however their control is being done is beside the point. What is important is the fact that the WTS leadership feels beleaguered and besieged. It is also an autocratic regime and as others have pointed out and history shows, such regimes crack down harder when they are threatened. As internal resistance grows and external forces ratchet up the pressure, we can only expect the Governing Body to behave even more atrociously.

Quendi

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Compared to the Governing Body of 35 years ago, the current group can be characterized as unlettered, uneducated and unsophisticated.

This appears to be soooo true. Look at the videos Cedars has posted about each member of the GB. They are ordinary and unlettered men. OH! This is their claim to being identified like the 1st Century apostles/disciples. Unfortunately, they are playing on a un-level playing field in this "system". The only "equalizer" is the Holy Spirit. Thankfully, they are being guided by God's Holy Spirit and this is what protects them from making any errors that opens them to successful law suits which require any huge settlements or result in huge judgements.

WAIT! THAT AIN'T WHAT BE HAPPENIN'!

They're losing 2/3 of born-in members;

New baptisms are on a steady decline;

Extreme shortage of men willing to serve in the Congs;

$$multimillion$$ settlements for numerous issues (esp child abuse);

A huge judgement pending in the litigation by Candace Conti;

WHY AIN'T THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDING THEM TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISIONS WHICH WILL PROTECT THEM?

(That's the question they should be asking themselves.)

Doc

• Shador
    Shador

DoC's note led me to crunch some quick numbers for the last 2 decades. Interesting.

This is using Yearbook figures:

1989 Peak Pubs - 3,787,188

# Baptized 1990-1999 - 3,234,811

So, 1999 Peak Pubs should be 7,021,999.

1999 Peak Pubs - 5,912,492

A difference of 1,109,507 - or 34.29% of the number baptized.

-------------

1999 Peak Pubs - again 5,912,492

# Baptized 2000-2009 - 2,699,241 (note this is 535,570 less than the previous decade)

So 2009 Peak pubs should be 8,611,733

2009 Peak Pubs - 7,313,173

A difference of 1,298,560 - or 48.10% of the number baptized.

So in the aughts, WTBTS lost amost half of what they gained in membership.

-------------

2-decade figures

1989 Peak Pubs - 3,787,188

# Baptized 1990 - 2009 - 5,934,052

2009 Peak pubs should be 9,721,240

2009 Peak Pubs - 7,313,173

A difference of 2,408,067 - 40.58% of the number baptized.

----------------

How much of the loss is due to older ones dying off and how much due to people leaving, I can't be sure. I'll leave more detailed analysis of these numbers to others.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The best description of the GB's decisions I've ever heard is reactionary.

Stick your finger in the fire. Get burned. owowowowow. Kick the fire. Spread the fire. Run screaming from the scene. The devil did it.

You can pretty well figure out which way they will go depending on what is hurting them most. Do more. Give more. Cut informal social occassions. Cut the magazine size. Promotional months. Pad the numbers. Tweak interpretations. Lie in court. Beat the sheep.

Compare this to a proactive approach, which starts with a strong vision, "Let's build a cosy fire pit to sit around", and includes a strategy and action plan towards the goal. Getting burnt? Move the benches back a bit. Contain the fire. Lay down gravel. Don't forget what you started out to build in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit