Scripturally-Speaking, Do You Think First Century Christians Were Taught To "Hate" All Apostates???

by bjc2read 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• humbled
    humbled

Thanks for the scripture, Vidqun. In the last two verses is the axis for my response-- the "authority" of Paul is to what extent?

The teaching authority, translated here as the "building up"(--not that I am saying there is one translation prefered--)the Lord gave Paul, how much of that authority is what we might call "moral authority"-- leaning toward a take-it-or-leave-it-but-you-have-good-reason-to-take-it style of teaching or a thing called "epistemic authority" meaning my-way-or-the-highway.

Paul, if we lay aside our conditioning that he is a small Jesus of the early Christians-an early version of the GB, may be seen as laying an appeal before the Corinthians. The conversations WERE lively. There were different Jesus talkers around--remember, there were way more than twelve DISCIPLES. Let us not cast such faithful followers as Mary Magdalene into the outer darkness at this time of evangelizing.

Perhaps weeping was a powerful a tool as any for ones who left the gatherings or truly spoke badly. The appeal to love and peace Paul gives at the end is not something I got from the brothers when I was leaving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit