My JW Experiences and Living in No Mans Land

by wizzstick 32 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I know what you mean about the 1980s being the last decade where the truth was exciting and still made sense and Armageddon seemed innocent. I can just about remember that as I was a child at the time. The generation change in 1995 really spoiled everything. It's been downhill ever since then.

The neutrality thing still attracts me to the Witnesses. And I still believed they had it right on the Trinity and God's name, that was until I stopped believing in God at all.

I tried to promote the idea of "atheists for Jehovah": sort of for people who enjoy the community, lifestyle, and some values of being a Witness, but as an idea it never got off the ground.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

slimboy, "atheists for Jehovah", Ha I know exactly what you mean.

I think many are just "cultural JWs", in it for family and friends. They defend the society because that's what they've always done & it's an ingrained, reflex reaction. However if you could really drill down into what the 'cultural JWs' believe I think you'll find, that they would never shun their own children (even though they'd expect their own parents to shun them), they wouldn't stop their children from going to college, they don't really think gay people deserve to die, they harbour independent thoughts about a lot of stuff and I doubt many would be able to define let alone defend some of the more esoteric beliefs.

• slimboyfat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit