Many ex-JWs have never read Combating Cult Mind Control

by Londo111 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

Good work, Robert!

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

My studying husband read it as a favor to me ( after months of refusing) over a year ago. We barely discussed it, but I feel it may have had an effect. You can't "unread" that, so the ideas are in his mind now whether he wants them there or not.

• Londo111
    Londo111

One day, my ex-wife came by, and I had her read the four sections on Behavioral Control, Information Control, Thought Control, Emotion control. After she read the four sections I asked her what she thought.

She said, “I don’t want to believe it is true. But it is.”

The right discussion at the right time might help your husband. Of course, it might help to discuss some other group, like Scientology. Of course, if he is merely studying, he is not seeing the Organization from the inside. He is not being presented with the really wacky teachings…those come gradually. This is a form of courtship…JWs are putting their best foot forward, giving him lots of attention. It’s candy and flower time.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Actually he is both. he was raised in the JW, father an elder. he left as a teen, not dunked. He literally said everything he is learning is new. That blew me away, tinking he can't be serious. but, as I see now, he could actually be right! They change so, so much. He IS getting love bombed. His mother still in, dad walked away from the KH one day in the late 70's.

So the love bombing is working, or was. he has not been studying for many many months now. he used his sticky flags on those exact topics, the BITE, and said " i see what you are trying to do" partly trying to discredit but not being able to. he doesn't want to talk about it so I am leaving it alone for the most part now. One thing I did do several months ago was to put an example to him, if he were to see me wanting to join into a cult, ( some other group) what would he do? That actually made him stop and think, and say " Exactly what you are doing". I had to drop it fast because he can only take so much and then needs to shut down.

When reading CCMC the one time he really opened up was when he laughed at the UFO cult on the mountian where the leader said they would be taken by aliens. I found that incredibally ironic that he would, at the time, have no ability to see any similarities. After he read the entire book I imagine that was harder to ignore.

I am finally having some hope that he is waking up...but I know i can't be sure until he says he doesn't believe in the WT anymore.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi nonjwspouse, Have you thought of other things that you can do to help your husband realize that life is not as bad as the WTBTS promotes?

What does your husband like to do that is non-JW related? Have you visited websites like www.meetup.com to meet other non-JWs with similar interests as your husband's? If you sign-up for email promotions on websites like www.travelzoo.com and www.groupon.com, it may give you and your husband ideas to do some fun activities for less.

Does your husband and his father have a good relationship? What are your father-in-law's feelings about the WTBTS?

Best of wishes in helping your husband to think for himself.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Londo111 - Good work, Robert!

Hi Londo111, Thanks.

It is very easy to write to Steve Hassan and to politicians because of the internet. I hope that more ex-JWs and JWs with doubts will write to Steve Hassan at http://freedomofmind.com/Contact/index.php about their feelings, experiences, and ideas to help empower members of dangerous cults to think for themselves. It would also be fantastic if more ex-JWs would sign-up with Steve Hassan to volunteer to help JWs with doubts near them (think of AA members supporting each other). On-line support forums are ok, but humans benefit more from personal interactions.

I also wish that more people will write to their politicians about their experiences and ideas to help protect children from abuse/molestation by organizations as well as how governments view non-profit organizations.

Robert

• OneEyedJack
    OneEyedJack

Thanks for that update Robert, hopefully they get on it sooner than later. I can't imagine it is very difficult at all to make a readily available book also available on ebook, unless they are in a very bad contract with their publisher.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi OneEyedJack, Have you heard of the expression "The sweeky wheel gets greased"? If more people write Steve Hassan asking for an ebook version of "Combatting Cult Mind Control" to help a relative or friend and why an ebook is better than a paper book, the more likely that more time and effort will be focused on publishing CCMC as an ebook sooner versus later.

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit